Why become a member? ×

Anyone use any of the stomp box bass drum gadgets ?

Starting doing a few covers and originals with a singer/guitarist recently and we are looking to add a little percussion and I am quite impressed by the stomp box drums ( which seems to be the generic name for all bits of wood etc that you tap with your feet ) that seem to be about.

Anyone use one of them currently or previously ?

Tony

In my old acoustic band, the guitarist had one. It was called a "Logdrum" or something like that.
Plug it in & it gives a low thud. Doesn't sound anything like a kick drum, but it fitted the style of stuff we did.

I've used a Logarhythm too, it was good but I had problems getting a consistent sound and you have to be careful about what kind of shoes you are wearing to get the best sounds from it... nowadays for band stuff our banjolele player uses just the 'brain' and kick drum from a Roland leccy drum kit and it sounds huge!

I actually made one for a mate of mine who plays in an acoustic Americana trio. He didn't want to have the hassle of a bass drum, but the bottom end needed a bit of thump, so I put one together, incorporating a piezo pick up. He plays snare and plugs the 'thumper' into the PA, which is otherwise just used for vocals. They are just acoustic guitar, fiddle and mandolin - with him on snare and a small crash ride, and it works really well for the up tempo stuff in their set. Clearly it isn't going to cut it in a rock band, and if you really turned it up you could bugger your PA speakers, but it's enough for them and you can shape the thump with a bit of eq on the PA.

Simple construction - big enough for his size 11s, two bits of ply, thinner top than bottom, and the piezo silicones under the thinner 'head', with jack in the side of the softwood which separated the two layers. I put some of that 'grip' rubber you can get for stopping stuff sliding about in your boot, or on your dash - on the underside, to stop it moving about on pub floors. Low tech, cheap - very Seasick Steve, and if it gets nicked or broken, its about a fiver to make another one.

Or, you could just play bass and drums at the same time like this guy. Great band I saw in Key West about 10 years ago - The Massacoustics, two brothers, and one plays bass by hammering on root notes, whilst playing drums with his right hand and feet. He puts the stick down and plays proper bass throughout the set too, and sings harmony too. Talented buggers :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq5oEgVwSLM

Edited by The Admiral

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1400052899' post='2450149']
nowadays for band stuff our banjolele player uses just the 'brain' and kick drum from a Roland leccy drum kit and it sounds huge!
[/quote]

I had a Roland TD3 set up about a year ago and had that idea with another kick pedal plugged in to the snare socket but never thought I would use it so sold it :-(