Why become a member? ×

Telecaster replacement pick up?

Hi,
I have just bought a Squire classic vibe telecaster, and I would like to change the pick -up, but I don't know where to start. Do the chinese stock pick-ups sound like the American ones? The Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounder seems a popular replacement , any one tried one? Any other recommendations? I usually play a US precision into a orange bass terror. I play in a pub covers band and I'm ideally looking for something that can cut through a little better than the stock pick -up

Thanks,

Sean

I had a lovely Squier Standard Tele and I put a Fender '52 RI in the bridge and a GFS Fatbody ([url="http://www.guitarfetish.com/Alnico-Fatbody-Oversized-Polepiece-Tele-Neck-Pickup_p_76.html"]http://www.guitarfet...ickup_p_76.html[/url]) in the neck - the Fatbody was superb - and the 52RI cut through everything.

It was a *very* nice little guitar which was sold with regret - but didn't need it.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

With any pickup replacement you need to ask yourself 1) what you are looking for and 2) what is it that the stock pickups are not doing for you? The CV stuff sounds good to me but there are plenty of improvements out there. If you want a more traditional sound you would be looking at anything 50s or 60s reissue but if you want a bit more high output then something different would be on the cards. Cost is also a factor. Personally I like the Seymour Duncan range (Antiquity especially) but then if I was playing something else I'd probably go for a different pickup from their range.