Why become a member? ×

Cab Recommendations

@nBass

Hi

I am new to the forum and getting back to gigging after a number of years away - so apologies if I sound like a complete novice!

I have an Ampeg PF350 amp with the matching PF-210HE cab. I love the sound and portability but I am not really comfortable with the lack of headroom at gigging levels (probably running at over 75% of max).

I think the amp has plenty of power but I just need to move more air (and with another 8 ohm cab I'll get the full 350W). So I am trying to decide what the best cab combination would be to suit my needs and budget. I would prefer 2 smaller cabs (rather than say a 4x10) for portability and flexibility.

So what would be the best way to go? The options I have available are

To complement my PF210 with either another PF210 or a PF115.
Pros: I love the look and the sound. Cons: These cabs are hard to find second hand and it'll be a few months before I can afford new.

To sell or p/x the cab for a pair of cheaper 2x10s or similar. I was thinking that maybe a TC Electronics BC210 and a BC212 would work well or 2 x210s.
Pros: I could do a deal quickly and probably more cheaply, the 2x12 may give a bit more bottom end. Cons: I may sacrifice some of the great sound and regret it in a few months...

I bought the Ampeg on reputation without trying it (against my better judgement) but no regrets. As for the next move - I would value your collective wisdom!

Cheers,

Sam

Hold on to your horses Sam, this could be a bumpy ride! :D

Flippancy aside, there will be dozens of different recommendations from dozens of different people - who will mostly advise you to use what they use...

If you like the sound you get with one PF210, my advice would be to get another one. :)

Thanks Conan - fair comment - I guess best/better etc are totally subjective and ultimately meaningless generalisations.

I last had a Hartke HA3500 running into a 4x10 Transporter cab and I much prefer the sound of the Ampeg than what I recall from the Hartke stuff (I still have a Hartke A70 practice amp). That said I have not been able to try a wide range of gear as locally there are only guitar shops who don't stock bass amps other than cheap combos (apparently bass players don't spend enough money to justify them stocking the gear - to which I pointed out that if they don't have any gear how are we expected to spend the money!).

If I had £370 I'd buy a PF410 but that'd be a few months away at best which is why I am considering possible alternatives to increase my headroom before the next gig.

So, given that is the case, I guess I am really asking what can I expect to get for my money with TC Electronics BC series. Would I be simply exchanging one mid-price cab for 2 cheap ones (not really interested in doing that) or are the BC series really good value that should definitely be considered (by that I mean driving for miles to try them out). So I am interested in people's experience with these and any other 2x10 or 2x12 in this price bracket.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1399640248' post='2446181']
If you like the sound you get with one PF210, my advice would be to get another one. :)
[/quote]

This.

It'll be worth the wait and look good. Beyond that go and listen to other cabs. It's a totally subjective thing so buy with your ears not other people's ears.
Don't go for cheaper cabs tho. You'll regret it.
Good luck and welcome back to gigging!

Edited by mrtcat

+1 for getting another one the same. Mixing different cabs is a minefield as you won't really know how they work together until you're gigging with them. But needless to say you can expect different tone and volume outof different cabs - making it tricky.

I would get another PF210. SImple as that.

...and if you let us know where you are you may find somebody nearby, who has the other items on your shopping list and could let you see/hear 'em 'in the flesh', or offer a 'I've got one of those - I'm gigging at The Dog & Duck this weekend' kinda shout.

If you like the sound with one of the 210s, the addition of another will bring a big grin to your face. I`ve mixed cab sizes/brands before, and you can get great results - poor ones as well - but if something is already doing what you want, double it and just make it twice as good.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Collective wisdom would suggest adding a second PF210 and stacking them on end. Aside from the deeply technical reasons for having four speakers in a single column (others are far better qualified than me to explain the positive benefits of this arrangement) the main benefit will be getting a speaker up nearer your ear, which on a loud stage can make a hell of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Collective wisdom rules!

I managed to pick up another pf210 for £220 on gumtree and it's mint! They look great together and now I have the headroom I need without compromising on tone. Well worth the time and effort - I'm really glad I didn't rush into getting a cheaper new alternative.

Thanks for your responses.

Edited by @nBass