Why become a member? ×

The Greatest Bass Designer Of All Time, Ever. (Part two)

LukeFRC

This:

In terms of influence over many years, mention must go to Rick Turner and Ron Wickersham of Alembic - multi laminate wood construction and active electronics. Rick Turner also developed the first graphite necks with Geoff Gould who started Modulus.

Unfortunately not around long enough to become better known but should I ever have a nice Lottery win I'd like to get my hands on one of Greg Curbow's basses (small bodied but can be quite heavy due to the rockwood necks and brass sustain blocks set in under the bridge).

I'll stick a shout in for Michael Spalt too - some very innovative features in using aluminium frames for bodies and necks, adjustable body widths, sliding pickups etc. I haven't tried one but I understand they sound good too.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1399717379' post='2446908']
I've seen Pedulla's for sale, was offered one in a trade once even... know very little about them - care to elaborate a bit more about them please?
[/quote]
My Pentabuzz is an extremely well made instrument with some very robust detailing - for example, the grain of the neck laminates are symmetrical, they use brass bushings even in the control cavity cover, the necks are super stiff which means I can achieve very low action. The only thing that lets them down a little are the woolly sounding Bartolinis. Apart from that, they're instruments that are designed to last a lifetime.