Why become a member? ×

Can I improve my cab at all ?

fleabag

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1399676684' post='2446708']
I like to put some fairly heavy wadding on the back panel and leave the rest of the cab unfilled. This does make an audible difference and I'd move your wadding to the back panel immediately behind the speakers.
[/quote]

Although the situation is complicated here by the fact that the ports are on the back - so it may be better to put the damping on all the walls and the right hand back panel (not on the front baffle, of course). I use a staple gun for this, as you don't want the wadding flapping around. As Phil says, keep the wadding away from the ports and make sure that there is a clear path from the driver on the right to ports. i.e. you don't really want a lot of wadding in the middle of the cab.

Looking good so far.

Edited by stevie

Things are sent to try us

The braces proved to be too tricky to fit, so i've given up. The Beymas dont have a 2nd set of spade connectors, unlike the Betas, so daisy chaining the pair is now a solder job. On top of that, the spade connectors on the Beymas are bigger, so the original wiring spades wont fit. Did i have any bigger spade connectors ? No. Well, I had 2 but i need 4 per cab

ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

You can get crimp fitting spade connecters which branch so you can connect another spade. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/400629036438?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-spade-terminal-piggy-back-connecters-red-l26ay

try an autospares shop.

yeah i can order them, but i was hoping to fnish off the cab tonight. There's an auto spares shop in town so i'll be calling in tomorrow, rather than wait for them in the post

I've also discovered that the extra T-nuts and machine screws i received are made of plasticene, so i'll need more T-nuts and screws. Got a screwfix in town too, so i should be able to get some proper sturdy mounts for the extra speaker holes

Edited by fleabag

Would you adam and eve it. Local screwfix - loads of M5 panhead machine screws, no M5 T-nuts. Drive round to independant tool shop - loads of M5 panhead machine screws, no M5 T-nuts

Bah humbug as they say in Lithuania

Got the spade connectors though.

Sorted ! At last

The nitty gritty - these Beymas coupled with the cab mods made, care of the friendly gurus and big thanks to them, specially stevie who plotted the graphs - (cheers mate), has really tightened the sound up nicely. Same output volume as the higher wattage Eminence ( though we ignore those watts mostly, i think ) But the authority, the balance, ... is lovely.

F'instance - with the umodded cab + Betas, if i were to say play 14th fret on the G, then immdediately play the 14th fret on D, there was this bloom and jump in volume - strange, as you might think this was more to do with the pickups or strings or both ( Nordstrand P/J SE set ) but i doubt its them. In fact it wasn't...

Its happening in front of my ears right now, as i have one unmodded cab + beta , right next to the Beyma / modded. ( dual channel power amp ) The Beyma / Modded cab has controlled this, and anywhere else i got that scenario of bloom / vol jump. It wasnt horrendous, but anyone would notice it. The evenness across lows mids and highs has improved a lot, the tone is def. tighter, and for not much layout after factoring in sales of the Betas ( 2 have gone already ) it turned out a cheap upgrade

We call that a result !

2nd cab to do now, but since its going to be a carbon copy, no need to bore the audience with this one

[IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/140m2ph.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by fleabag

Glad it has worked out for you. The other big difference will be in the excursion, those Beymas will handle deep, loud bass much better, unless you crank them you won't notice it so much but it's nice to know it's there.

It'd be really nice to know what you think of the sound after living with them for a few weeks, we all inevitably tweak things until we get the sound we like and that takes time.

Quite right Phil - only tested at bedroom level so far, but within the next week or so, we'll be having a rehearsal, and then it will show its worth, and i'll post back with the results from proper volume playing

• 1 month later...

Just an update - these upgrades/mods were worth every penny. They have so much more ' control ' ? than the Betas, they also seem more balanced re. frequencies, if thats possible. No problem with the low end, but then I keep the ART Tube preamp 40hz +- button @ - 12db anyways
No loss of volume that i can detect , probably be cause they are better specced than the Betas and the porting has helped, despite lower output of the Beymas. But then who takes notice of watts anyways ?

Kerrapp explanation but rather hard to find the appropriate words. Its hard to imagine why the Beymas are cheaper than Betas. Still, not complaining about price, as i got £140+ for the Betas, so just spent nearly £60 on the Beymas, and the good chap at Blue Aran ( great to deal with IME ) caved in to my haggling and sent them free postage. There wasn't a lot of profit for him in the first place so fair play to the guy. I doubt if he would have sent them gratis had i not ordered 4 at once, though.

Happy Camper here.

Listen to the gurus folks - they know what they're doing :)

Edited by fleabag

£50 in UK for Beymas, £58 for Betas, although if you buy 4 Betas its just under £228, but its only a £4 saving. There's no buy 4 deal on the Beymas, but the Blue Aran guy sent them post free., £200 for 4