Why become a member? ×

Oldfield bass line

JazzyYama

There is a track I quite like the bass line on,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhH7pNZn17Q

Is this a good bass line, I guess it maybe too busy for most people's taste?, how would I approach creating or playing a part like that? I'd like to have a go with this kind of approach, is it simply based on well known patterns or a bit more improvised? Any hints or tips from the world of theory or whatnot to getting this sort of effect?

I appreciate this is kinda vague post, but just grateful for any pointers of how to go from being someone that knows where the root notes are, to playing parts like that.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

As to creating parts like that, as a guitar player you probably already have what it takes.
How about playing that song (or a rough impression of it) in your head, keeping the flow and the character of the melody and chord progression. Immediately or eventually you should be able to hear bass notes that are not too far removed from the type of bass part the original song has.
Can you do that?

What you do NOT need at this stage is someone telling you what bass parts are possible from a certain theoretical standpoint.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1398464358' post='2434523']
cool thanks!
[/quote]

...and a bit here, too!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEMQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fprogrammes%2Fp01ldvgg&ei=b-JaU-qoB-7T7Aa154DwDQ&usg=AFQjCNHF_RE0NdAMLX8K0chgIm8sNpGHXw&sig2=MbqVUUMfEqH_BhEf5XFGcQ&bvm=bv.65397613,d.ZGU

Following on from Bert's post, forget what you look at the bass as. It's Not a root note instrument unless you make it one.
I listen to the melodies & play things that work in the scale being used. Harmonising or playing unison with a vocal part here & there is also a good place to get the creative vibe flowing.

When I'm writing a bass line for someone else's song I tend to make a recording of the basic guitar vocals arrangement then listen to it over and over until I'm singing the Bass line in my head. I definitely don't like to use my hand muscle memory or my knowledge of scales write a line for me, they would quickly all start sounding the same. Sometimes I hear a song once and I already have a good idea of what will work, other times it can take ages to be really happy. I tend to find the line will evolve quickly the first few times I play it, but often will keep changing slightly for quite a while, which is why I prefer to gig a song a few times before recording it.

When you've written the line you need to be comfortable with it, and open to changing it depending on what other musicians are going to be playing on it. Your line might be amazing, but it may sound awful with the piano player, or drummers ideas, this is when the theory and musical knowledge can be really handy.