Why become a member? ×

Entwistle bass pickups

cachao

I just tested my Bridge JBXN, full on volume , Neck pup turned off, and rotated the tone knob full on and rolled off, and there wasn't any hum. Preamp and Power amp wound up too, so i guess you needn't worry.

I dont know much about electronics, so i dont know if the pots have anything to do with helping single coil pups to hum, but I changed the pots in mine to Bourns pots, the Rolls Royce of potentiometers, and i did
that long before i fitted the Entwistle neo pups. So the Bourns pots may ( or may not ) be helping to eliminate hum, but i couldn't say. There's only the regular back shielding paint in the control cavity ( presumbaly done by the builder during construction ) but i havent added any other form of hum cancelling stuff

Edited by fleabag

I had quarter pounders way back in early 2000 and struggling to remember the tone of them, but dont remember going ' wow' when hearing them in my bass for the first time, unlike these beauties

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1401302595' post='2462279']
I had quarter pounders way back in early 2000 and struggling to remember the tone of them, but dont remember going ' wow' when hearing them in my bass for the first time, unlike these beauties
[/quote]

Interesting... I Really like the Quarter Pounders, but I've just ordered a neodymium PJ set of the Entwistles. See how it goes!! :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1401367892' post='2462853']
...just ordered a neodymium PJ set of the Entwistles. See how it goes!! :D
[/quote]

Great - I would be very interested to know what you think.
Bertbass has a PJ set in his P bass and they sound very good - no noise issues, either.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401368003' post='2462858']
Great - I would be very interested to know what you think.
Bertbass has a PJ set in his P bass and they sound very good - no noise issues, either.
[/quote]

I'll be the perfect candidate to test noise issues, stacking between 2 and 4 drive pedals :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1401369388' post='2462877']
I'll be the perfect candidate to test noise issues, stacking between 2 and 4 drive pedals :lol:
[/quote]

:) You should be fine - bert had a plethora of pedals too, including a Fission Bass Powerchord...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1401369498' post='2462880']
:) You should be fine - bert had a plethora of pedals too, including a Fission Bass Powerchord...
[/quote]

Haha well!...

I ended up swapping out the Quarter Pounder in the bridge of my other one to a Hot Stack, and it only marginally decreased the noise. I'm actually quite excited about the result :D

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1401389267' post='2463202']
So the word is that the JBXN pickup is quiet? Is it a humbucker then? I'm running Schaller JBX (weird coincidence) pickups at the moment, and whilst they are silent they lack a little sizzle and snap. This makes sense, as they are Dimarzio Model J clones. Also, surprised to see mention of the Fission Bass Powerchord. I thought they were long forgotten!
[/quote]

No, it's not a humbucker... but it is a quality pickup by all accounts and one shouldn't be put off by the price.
Didn't know much about the Powerchord until hearing it at bertbass's place... I want one! :)

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1401390243' post='2463224']
Well, I'm planning to split my Jazz in two anyway... for the summer months it will sport a Geddy Lee neck (if I can find one) and the Entwistle pickups, and in the winter it will sport the original rosewood neck and the Schallers. :lol:
[/quote]

That's an interesting concept... like fitting winter tyres on your car or something... :huh:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1401391606' post='2463247']
My conspiracy theory is that after a winter of dry air and cranked heating, the thinner necks on these basses start to readjust as the weather changes, prompting people to offload them as they become less playable. I wouldn't want to own a bass with a shaved Jazz-profile neck if I didn't know how to adjust trussrods!
[/quote]

Curiouser and curiouser. So you think that basses are... seasonal..? :blink:

The Neodymium PJ set arrived this morning, very well packed! They are ridiculously heavy and the magnets are so powerful it takes some effort to pull the pickups apart if they get near each other! As soon as I get a new set of strings I'll be chucking them in and tuning them down to C#!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1401551124' post='2464677']
The Neodymium PJ set arrived this morning, very well packed! They are ridiculously heavy and the magnets are so powerful it takes some effort to pull the pickups apart if they get near each other! As soon as I get a new set of strings I'll be chucking them in and tuning them down to C#!
[/quote]

Well don't sit around wasting your time on the internet, get 'em fitted and let's have a review!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have a little project looming and going to try these but I cannot really see the difference between the PBX and the PBXN pickups as they are both rated at 8.4k out put do any of you guys know what the difference is? cos the only one I can seem to find is the price

EDIT I have just emailed the man himself I will post a reply when I get it so any one else who is interested in these can compare the 2 :)

Edited by Thunderbird

Haven't had a chance to try mine yet believe it or not! I imagine the neo ones would be higher output... Possibly with more emphasis on the upper midrange as that's what I've experienced with neo speakers. I have an actual free day on Monday so fingers crossed ill be able to check ot out

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1402698981' post='2476222']
Haven't had a chance to try mine yet believe it or not! I imagine the neo ones would be higher output... Possibly with more emphasis on the upper midrange as that's what I've experienced with neo speakers. I have an actual free day on Monday so fingers crossed ill be able to check ot out
[/quote] OOO let me know how you get on as I am really considering these for a little project soon :)

Well I've finally had a play around with the neo set. First thoughts are quite short and sweet:

P pickup? MEATY! Incredibly loud and chunky but without sounding muddy. The low end is certainly piano like.

J pickup? Very nice! I don't really like the sound of them on their own but it's a lot less weedy than any other I've tried. Sounds very good with overdrive though!

Together? This is how I always play PJ basses, both pickups on full. I'm loving this. The J pickup isn't nearly as loud as the P but they compliment each other beautifully.

Oh and with regards to noise: the J isn't dead silent but considering how much I mess around with the signal it's very impressivem quietest single coil I've ever used that's for sure!

All in all a perfect pickup. Definitely higher quality and more musical than the SD quarter pounders that cost double the amount. I haven't played the bass with a full band yet so I won't known if I prefer it but I'm feeling positive

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1402918626' post='2477816']
All in all a perfect pickup. Definitely higher quality and more musical than the SD quarter pounders that cost double the amount. I haven't played the bass with a full band yet so I won't known if I prefer it but I'm feeling positive
[/quote]

Very good. This confirms my view of bertbass's P/J set which I thought sounded massive. So there you have it.
Let us know how it goes with the full band then we can all rush out and buy 'em. ;)

Edited by discreet