Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne Jazz Bass

TG Flatline

Anyone else got one of these? I picked one up on ebay a couple of years ago, a red one, never seen one in that colour before so convinced the missus to lend me the money to get it (good girl) and have always thought it was the absolute tits. The studio we're recording at at the mo cream over it and can't believe it is 1) a fender, 2) a stock fender, and 3) that it is not active, as it sounds immense recorded.

I'm on about getting another so I can shelve this one for studio only, but not at the expense of having a good bass live. Does anyone else use these? If so, is mine a one-off fluke and so I should not get another Aerodyne, or do they all sound great?

I'm in two minds, and if I buy another and don't like it my bird is going to cut my nuts off!

[quote name='TG Flatline' post='240003' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:35 PM']Anyone else got one of these? I picked one up on ebay a couple of years ago, a red one, never seen one in that colour before so convinced the missus to lend me the money to get it (good girl) and have always thought it was the absolute tits. The studio we're recording at at the mo cream over it and can't believe it is 1) a fender, 2) a stock fender, and 3) that it is not active, as it sounds immense recorded.

I'm on about getting another so I can shelve this one for studio only, but not at the expense of having a good bass live. Does anyone else use these? If so, is mine a one-off fluke and so I should not get another Aerodyne, or do they all sound great?

I'm in two minds, and if I buy another and don't like it my bird is going to cut my nuts off![/quote]
Bought my black Aerodyne Jazz as a spare for gigs and fellin love with it. The 'P' PUP adds so much mid and bass, so I find it great for changing to different sounds/styles in my cover band. I've just replaced the bridge PUP with a Wizard '84 to add a bit more bite. I've actually got mine up for sale (see Bass for Sale forum, as I've got the GAS for a particular axe, but if no one comes in for it, I'll still be happy to keep it!

Superb basses, I've often thought about getting one. Peter (Greeneking) has a beautiful white one, I think the non export version, which he's thinking of letting go if you're interested. It's a stunning bass, and I can't afford it.

I had a non-export one for a while. Great sound with a pick but found it a bit muddy otherwise (but I do like a SR modern sound) and I play fingerstyle 90% of the time.

Nice looking bass (binding on body and finish were great) but it felt very old fashioned to play with a fair bit of neck dive.

Horses for courses though - if we all liked the same thing etc etc... Glad you like yours!

Edited by stingrayfan

Hiya

Yep mine is the non export P/J and it's absolutely mint in that 'off white' colour (Olympic?) with black edging and scratchplate.

It never gets played as I have about 19 other basses and only ever have 4 or 5 actually out of their cases.

Every time I get it out I find myself wanting to hang on to it :)

But, the right offer would make me consider letting it go to help fund Uni.

Peter

I've got the non-export model in old candy apple red with a set of wizards dropped in. With the neck pup solo'd it has that familiar p thump and with the bridge pup turned up, playing fingerstyle over the bridge it fairly barks! Great bass with a split personality in tones. I haven't had any issues with neck dive or muddiness. It balances perfectly on a strap and is bright enough for slap, if that sort of thing's your thing...

Edited by Nick80

I've got one.

I was going to sell it, but I might keep it once I replace the strings, the pup cover of the J (my VMJ has smooth rounded corners which are lovely to play on) as I'm finding it rather enjoyable after not playing it for 9 months.

I'm in 2 minds, as I'm hankering over a j-j config, but the aero is nice to play and with few tweaks (and a pro setup) it'll be a dream to play.