Why become a member? ×

Warwick Corvette $$

Matt_UK

I'm gonna ring Sound Control this lunchtime, see if they can give me some more info on what they've got. If theyre in such a hurry to get rid of stuff, they might be willing to accept crazy offers...I'll see if I can blag a bargain :huh:!

Apparently, their stocklist is getting updated every day on the clearance of Sound Control...so they must be actively getting rid of it...though some of it is ex-demo, pre-owned or possibly a bit dinged, so when I investigate what theyve got, I'll see if they can let me know of the condition etc of the basses.

I'm starting to sway towards an SSI or a FNA Jazzman big time...I know theyre different to the Corvette $$. But theres no way of me trying out either an SSI or an FNA :).

Im worried about buying blind, and being disapponted :huh:...the MM pickups sound awesome on the $$, will the sound be similar on the FNA Jazzman???

Does the P/J setup on the SSI give the trademark Warwick growl? G'ah...choices choices choices! Any advice would be welcome guys! Sorry to be a questiony question asker all the time, I'm not experienced enough with Warwicks :huh:!

Thankyou all in advance!

Matt

Ok guys, quick update...

I've been offered a slightly used FNA Jazzman for £699. It has minimal wear where your arm rests and a few scratches on the pups and headstock...is it worth this price instead of a new Corvette $$ or used Streamer Stage I??

Edited by Matt_UK

yeah, theyve got a sweet FNA Jazzman but its £945! The one ive been offered is £245 cheaper....but with a bit of wear....

Hmmmm, whats a fair price for them in this economy?

Does the MM of the FNA Jazzman sound similar in anyway to the $$? It looks so awesome and I'm really tempted!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='246904' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:35 PM']Ok guys, quick update...

I've been offered a slightly used FNA Jazzman for £699. It has minimal wear where your arm rests and a few scratches on the pups and headstock...is it worth this price instead of a new Corvette $$ or used Streamer Stage I??[/quote]

The price of £699 in a store is about what I'd expect but under present circumstances 'If that was what you want' I'd go in with £600 cash, wave it under their noses and stick to your guns.

There have been a few SSIs on eBay of late and most have achieved around the £700 (which is pitiful but a bit more than what I sold one for recently) but a SSI will sound very different to the BO Jazzman! I'd be happy with any of your choices but IMHO for bangs per buck I'd be holding out for a used NT SSI :)

Thanks Warwickhunt

Thats some really great advice - unfortunately I havent played enough Warwicks to comment, but as I would guess you've played most of them, its good to hear from someone with some experience :)! If you know, could you tell me why the Jazzman would sound so different? Is it merely the pups or something else?

I keep flittering between Jazzman and SSI - looks wise at least!

Thanks for all your replies so far, its soo so helpful for me :huh:

Edited by Matt_UK

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='246933' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:04 PM']Thanks Warwickhunt

Thats some really great advice - unfortunately I havent played enough Warwicks to comment, but as I would guess you've played most of them, its good to hear from someone with some experience :)! If you know, could you tell me why the Jazzman would sound so different? Is it merely the pups or something else?

I keep flittering between Jazzman and SSI - looks wise at least!

Thanks for all your replies so far, its soo so helpful for me :huh:[/quote]

The difference in sound between the Jazzman and a SSI is... everything!

I'm not being glib, flippant or plain awkward but trying to identify what gives a bass it's particular tonal quality is tricky. It is true that if you play enough instruments you learn to identify certain traits and characteristics (any instrument not just bass and/or Warwicks). I would say that the main differences are caused by one being NT the other BO [b]AND[/b] the pup configuration.

If you consider that a Jazz and a Precision are both essentially the same bass with minor body shape differences (but essentially the same mass and or body wood) and that they are both BO necks often with the same woods but potentially different neck dimensions, then you have to say that the main difference between a J and a P is the pups. You then have to consider the difference between a PJ equipped BO bass and a PJ equipped NT bass, they can sound very different yet share the same pup config. All very confusing and full of so many permutations that it makes quantifying a basses sonic stamp a minefield.

I find that the BO necked Jazzman can be snappier and has a good range of tones from the pups and the preamp whereas the SSI 'can do snap' but gives more of the characteristic Warwick growl and is more rounded in tone.

A Tip - It's always tricky comparing one instrument in a shop and another in say your home or a different shop, as they will sound different dependent on the acoustics and the amp/cab played through. I always try to play and instrument for a good 10 minutes acoustically 'no matter how hard the assistant tries to get me to plug it in :huh: '! Assuming you are familiar with the string characteristics (gauge and material steel/nickel etc) and that they are fairly fresh (unlikely) then you can get a feel for how the instrument should sound amplified or through your amp/cab/combo. Have fun just trying as many as you can if possible!

Wow, thats incredible Warwickhunt, you truly do know your instruments! I am very impressed :) I know that there is usually greater sustain in NT models, which can only be a good thing and for the money, an SSI is probably a much better proposition if I want the "Warwick Growl™"...which, of course, I do :huh:.

It is a bit of an impossible question to ask to put a finger on why they are different as every bass is ever so slightly different in so many ways (even identical models!) but thankyou for the informative replies!

One of my mates (a drummer :huh: ) said he thought that P/J pup configs are for beginner basses. I told him he was wrong and he should stick to drumming - I really love the look of them on the SSI and they obviously produce a much different sound to the MM's on the Jazzman (or the $$).

Thanks for the tip by the way Warwickhunt, I usually do my best to try the basses through the same cab and head/combo if I'm doing a direct comparison in a shop but I've never tried the unplugged tip! Sounds like a great idea and I will enjoy frustrating the assistant!

Thanks again guys

Edited by Matt_UK

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='246966' date='Jul 24 2008, 03:53 PM']Wow, thats incredible Warwickhunt, you truly do know your instruments! I am very impressed :huh: I know that there is usually greater sustain in NT models, which can only be a good thing and for the money, an SSI is probably a much better proposition if I want the "Warwick Growl™"...which, of course, I do :huh:.

It is a bit of an impossible question to ask to put a finger on why they are different as every bass is ever so slightly different in so many ways (even identical models!) but thankyou for the informative replies!

One of my mates (a drummer :huh: ) said he thought that P/J pup configs are for beginner basses. I told him he was wrong and he should stick to drumming - I really love the look of them on the SSI and they obviously produce a much different sound to the MM's on the Jazzman (or the $$).

Thanks for the tip by the way Warwickhunt, I usually do my best to try the basses through the same cab and head/combo if I'm doing a direct comparison in a shop but I've never tried the unplugged tip! Sounds like a great idea and I will enjoy frustrating the assistant!

Thanks again guys[/quote]

No worries, that's what BC is all about :huh:

Try not to get hung up on the sustain... I've done A/B tests with various NT & BO basses and I have to say that you can't conclusively say that a NT will sustain for longer than a BO and in fact I've never been able to put my hand to heart and say that I can hear them sustain longer in a non-scientific test. This might sound odd but the NT adds/subtracts something from the sustain but I wouldn't say that it was the length of time that the note sounds :) I'll try and elaborate if I can grab a strong coffee and formulate my thoughts :huh:

LoL, that sounds like a great idea, coffee all the way :)!

Interesting about the sustain, I always thought the benefit of NT was the sustain...does it pose any problems having an NT bass? Any issues I have to be aware of? Are they more prone to warping? Is it harder/different to adjust the truss rod? Anything like that?

I've literally been a member for a few weeks and I've found the people on the forum incredible! not a bad word to be said :huh:! I cant stop checking it! Work? What work?! :huh:

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='247003' date='Jul 24 2008, 04:33 PM']LoL, that sounds like a great idea, coffee all the way :)!

Interesting about the sustain, I always thought the benefit of NT was the sustain...does it pose any problems having an NT bass? Any issues I have to be aware of? Are they more prone to warping? Is it harder/different to adjust the truss rod? Anything like that?

I've literally been a member for a few weeks and I've found the people on the forum incredible! not a bad word to be said :huh:! I cant stop checking it! Work? What work?! :huh:[/quote]

One of the benefits of the NT is upper fret access; not a major issue for most people (inc me) but worth considering. I find that the distance between strings and body is slightly lower on the NT which is probably a psychological thing that I like and most people don't even notice. I just think that Warwick NT basses have an intangible quality that I like which is missing in BO neck basses (even Warwicks).

A NT shouldn't pose any more problems than any BO neck bass, 'IF' there were issues then admittedly it's easier to unbolt a neck and put a new one on but TBH Warwick necks are pretty solid and I've never encountered warping/twisting issues. Truss rod IS something to consider on 'some' Warwicks. Not because they are any trickier to set-up etc because they are exactly the same as any bass BUT there are documented cases where early Warwick rods could strip and need replacement (99% of these will have been done by now) and it is generally an easy job for the knowledgeable DIYer or a Luthier can do it for not huge sums. I do know of one BCer who was unfortunate to get an early SSI that had a duff rod that wouldn't budge from the channel and it necessitated a fingerboard removal but that is really the only one I have ever heard of!

Don't let the truss rod thing put you off, it really is such a rare occurrence that most people aren't even aware of it.

I dont think thats going to put me off, as you said its a rare occurrence and most of them have been fixed by now :)!

I think im gradually getting swayed by the SSI, its such a beautiful bass and your comments have pretty much firmed up my thoughts :huh:. Im glad that with your experience you can only find one or two (quite minor) problems in an otherwise amazing bass thats been around for a long time now :huh:!

Another quicke quessie; obviously Just A Nut III's are all the rage now and seem to be a well designed, well thought out bit of kit. I've heard that the JAN II's could get uncomfortable and/or painful if you catch your hands on them and that the JAN I's were subject to a bit of buzzz. Do I need to pick this aspect of the bass carefully and could you tell me which years each JAN was implemented?

Thankyou again!

[quote name='Matt_UK' post='247167' date='Jul 24 2008, 06:56 PM']I dont think thats going to put me off, as you said its a rare occurrence and most of them have been fixed by now :)!

I think im gradually getting swayed by the SSI, its such a beautiful bass and your comments have pretty much firmed up my thoughts :huh:. Im glad that with your experience you can only find one or two (quite minor) problems in an otherwise amazing bass thats been around for a long time now :huh:!

Another quicke quessie; obviously Just A Nut III's are all the rage now and seem to be a well designed, well thought out bit of kit. I've heard that the JAN II's could get uncomfortable and/or painful if you catch your hands on them and that the JAN I's were subject to a bit of buzzz. Do I need to pick this aspect of the bass carefully and could you tell me which years each JAN was implemented?

Thankyou again![/quote]

TBH, a lot of people rave about the older brass nuts. I’ve played a couple of older Warwicks with them on and they feel great – no buzz issues that you’ve mentioned. My 3 Warwicks all have the plastic JAN II on them though (I think it’s the II – The youngest has a 2004 serial number and oldest is a 2000), so that’s just what I’ve got used to and I think they’re great – very easy to adjust and set up although they do have sharp plastic edges that do hurt when you accidently grab hold of it. I think aesthetically, the brass nuts look a lot better than the plastic ones and each string is also individually fully adjustable which is an advantage over the plastic ones which are only adjustable in 2 places.
I recently got a SSI and it’s great. Really light compared to a lot of Warwicks and it’s fitted with a great sounding and super powerful Aguilar 18V preamp. It feels and growls like a Warwick should :huh:

Cheers Ben

I think the Brass Nuts look better as well, really special :) Hope to find a nice vintage one late 80's early 90's in good condition...unlikely as that is! People need to sell more...we're in a recession...and I want to take advantage with my student loan :huh:!

Cant wait to hear it growl, I just need to find one now :huh:!

So...

Has anyone got a Streamer Stage I in pretty much mint condition (depending on age) for sale?! Age doesnt matter, I'm open to any year but I'd really love one in as near perfect condition as possible!

I'll post in wanted as well :) Just for clarity and to be proper :huh:!

Thanks for all your responses guys, its been a great welcome to the BC Forums :huh:

Thanks again

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='246928' date='Jul 24 2008, 02:58 PM']There have been a few SSIs on eBay of late and most have achieved around the £700 (which is pitiful but a bit more than what I sold one for recently)[/quote]

which is lovely thanks! :)

yep, im slowly getting it to like me too.
new (thicker) strings and raise the action from what you had it set at, lower the pups... and im away, i realise i must play quite hard with my right hand. Played a few times with it before I set it up and it was great (appart from the face i had to try and be light fingered), then went back to hitting my P bass hard for a while. can't wait to try it again now, the P bass still feels like home but im looking forward to the streamer challenging my playing ability. I sorted the intonation today.

anyway im blethering.

bam badda bam!