Why become a member? ×

Jhs Vintage V4 Precisions style neck size and shape

bonzodog

Can anyone who owns one of the above answer a question please. I bought a V4 reissued series off ebay as a cheap back up bass but liked it that much I regularly use it at gigs. The reason I like it is because the neck is much thinner than a standard precision. I dont mean the fretboard width but the actual distance from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck. More like a jazz bass. I would say its shallower than a Fender modern C shape.
Due to my current situation I am selling my fender MP jazz bass and intending on buying the vintage tony butler V4.
Its impossible to find them anywhere in shops so i wanted to check the neck was the same as my standard V4, nice and shallow. There are no dimensions on jhs web site and upon googling it the only place I could find a discussion was on talkbass where they were saying how chunky V4 necks were compared to most P basses. This is odd as mine is the opposite. I emailed jhs and they have replied to say the necks on all V4s are quite wide and deep and I should consider a jazz style if I want a thin neck. But I want a precision.
I thought maybe my V4 has got a different neck on it than original but the logo clearly states a V4 and its hardly a bass you would bother changing the name on the headstock.

Im quite confused so anyone with a V4, preferably the Tony Butler model that could tell me how the neck shape differs from a Standard Fender P bass would really help

Thanks

I've owned a Vintage Tony Butler model (maple fretboard) and a standard Vintage V4 (rosewood) and the neck dimensions were the same from memory - I don't recall the Tony model having a thicker neck. It's wide, as you say - around 43mm - but not as thick from front-to-back. It felt like the MIM 50s P-bass I used to have.

The American Standard P-bass (I had a 2010 model) was a bit narrower at the nut - 41mm and a modern-C profile, a far cry from the baseball bat-like Yamaha BB300 I had - thick from back to front and 44mm at the nut, but with big hands, I found it sat nicely in the hand.

If you get on well with the Standard V4, you'll find the Tony Butler model to be familiar territory although the finish is glossy, rather than the satin of the standard V4.

I do fancy the idea of the v4 series, and I didn't realise they had a slimmer neck, which is good. I've got a jhs vintage stingray copy but it's a string to many for me these days so considering offloading, but would probably try swapping for one of these.

I saw a good video on YouTube of a guy playing a v4 in comparison to a standard fender p and sound wise it wasn't that far off.

I like the Matt Freeman Squier but as I said finances are pretty dismal at present and the V4 TB is a lot cheaper and great for the cash.

Greggo - They are great basses for the money but the biggest problem is getting hold of one to try. None of my local music shops who Vintage claim to be distributors stock any.

Nice! I like the look of that model I must admit - the black /maple look is pretty. That would be the one I would get.

Am I right in thinking on that model the tone control is disconnected?

Edit - just read that although Tony Butler disconnects tone this v4 has a working tone control

Edited by Greggo