Why become a member? ×

"Alex Bass" amps .... ???

hamfist

That could be the most amazing bit of gear ever... or it could be mediocre - not the greatest website but... but.... I kinda want to hear one, which is a feeling I don't get much with gear nowadays. If the illustration of the head is actually what's inside and i've recognised it right they are using a top quality class D power amp....

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1396907188' post='2418731']
Has it really only got a 1/4" output connection? :(
[/quote] theres a balanced DI output there as well I spy. what more would you have on a preamp? I don't think the hellborg has more does it?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1396908074' post='2418742']
theres a balanced DI output there as well I spy. what more would you have on a preamp? I don't think the hellborg has more does it?
[/quote]
Doh! Thought it was an 'amp' as opposed to a pre! :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1396908857' post='2418750']
Doh! Thought it was an 'amp' as opposed to a pre! :D
[/quote] they've got both - think a powersoft digimod power section - but not sure what they are using for a 400w output? (and into what ohmage)
My guess based on the bright and deep switches that it's a Fender/alembic/etc type preamp but seeing the ICs on the circuit board with active eq stage - not sure what the "push" on the mid freq knob is about.

• 5 months later...

[size=4]Hello guys …sorry about this late reply. This unit is manufactured in small numbers in London. All of what you are saying is more or less correct…The eq section is active and includes a parametric mid range control with a selectable frequency band range ..hence the push/ divide by eight control…..so all this is more sophisticated then the Fender / Alembic styles but the deep / bright were influenced by those units. [/size]
[size=4]The head features a powersoft digimod unit giving 500 watts into 4 ohms, the pre is really designed as a studio unit..but plugs into anything via balanced XLR or 1/4 jack. Simple single knob compressor built in.[/size]
[size=4]So; two products…available to order..generally 21 days.[/size]

[size=4]Tubes through the top cos it looks cool !!!! but actually the first tube can be varied between a 12AU7 and a 12AX7 depending on gain requirements..so through the top makes access easy.[/size]
[size=4]Website is work in progress and I intend to feature a video as well as sound clips (wav files of course :-) ).[/size]
[size=4]You can leave contact details through the website and I will get back with any further questions. Happy to ship a demo unit for you to try.[/size]

[size=4]Cheers Alex[/size]

Thanks for the full story Alex. My amplification needs are covered at the moment, but I do know that there are a few people who would love a small as possible form factor power amp. If it was convection cooled as well, all the better. Not that I am telling you how to run you business, but there might be a gap in the market there.