Why become a member? ×

Your Views??????

thebigyin

Hi Fellow Basschatters,
I have a Jap Fender Jazz Bass.....don't know exact year but was told mid/late 80's.....bought second hand bit scuffed and battered in places but none the less my pride and joy.
Right the Question.....between the Bridge pick up and the Bridge there's a thin metal earth strip (I believe) is this common or do I have some unique Bass lol......personally I've never seen this before......doesn't hinder me or Bass in anyway....just curious.....thanks.

Photos would be good, but Japanese 62 re issues had that earthing strip. Not uncommon basses but good. Should also have a strap pin on back of headstock. Serial number and crafted or made in Japan should be on back of neck, just above where it meets the body.There is a Fender dater site as well, just google it.
Cheers,
Karl.

Cheers Karl......looks like a 62 reissue serial number and crafted in Japan ect.....it's a kinda creamy off white with tort pic gaurd.....nice Bass, take the gaurd off and it's all nicely routed out no unsightly gouging out ect......looks pretty cool with or without gaurd....it's not in pristine nick bit battered but I like it and for £300 it's a steal and I kinda like it's battered appearance.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1396523549' post='2414575']
Photos would be good, but Japanese 62 re issues had that earthing strip. Not uncommon basses but good. Should also have a strap pin on back of headstock. Serial number and crafted or made in Japan should be on back of neck, just above where it meets the body.There is a Fender dater site as well, just google it.
Cheers,
Karl.
[/quote] only the AVRI's have the strap button on the headstock, unless its a non export. and it won't be Crafted in Japan. it will prob say Made in Japan. it will possibly be made of Basswood, or Alder on the non export model. i have seen so many of these and they are good. what colour is it.?

Done some research apparently the wire strip solves the bad ground earthing which can hinder some P and J Basses must admit it is very quiet with no hum or other noises and seems to work a treat......but thanks for the replies and happy playing......cheers Bob.

The 62 Re-Issues had the strip.

Hear are two of mine.

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fender-jazz-62-reissue-pink.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/fender-jazz-62-reissue-pink.html[/url]

[url="http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/fender-jazz-62-and-boys-at-work.html"]http://flatericbassandguitar.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/fender-jazz-62-and-boys-at-work.html[/url]

Click on the image to enlarge - you will clearly see the strips.

VERY nice basses.

:)

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1396527173' post='2414634']
Thankyou both look the biz......apparently it sorts ground earthing problem which is quite common in some P and J Basses.....but I'm very happy with mine.....cheers.
[/quote]

The earthing strip was used by Fender on the early Jazz basses. It was, of course, not visible with the bridge pickup cover on. Without checking, I'm not sure when they stopped using it, but it had certainly gone by the 70s.

Some, but not all, of Fender's 60s Jazz reissues also have the strip. If they do have it, they are more accurate!