Why become a member? ×

G.A.S. Delay pedal.

telbomber

ok so GAS tells me I need a delay pedal but I'm not so sure. I guess I COULD use it but I don't consider it as essential as my Big Muff or Chorus.

It could even be that I just wanna make as many silly noises as the guitarists, who knows.

What do you guys think?

Anyone got one going cheap that I could try to know one way or the other?

Tel.

Both of the above options are a good shout as they'll give you a good overview of different types of delay.
I say this because there's no point getting an analogue delay, hating it and giving up, whereas all you needed was a good digital delay.....or vice versa.

Once you know what you like, you can look at more specific units :).

My faves are the Boss DM-3, Akai Headrush E2, Line 6 DL-4 & Idiotbox Dimension X, but there are so many more!

Si

Delay seems to be a never ending quest for me! I have tried (and subsequently sold on) a BOSS RE-20, DD-3, Catalinbread Echorec, Montavillian, Malekko 300b, Mad Professor DBD, Maxon AD9-Pro, AD-10, MXR Carbon Copy, Subdecay Echobox, EQD Dispatch Master, and I have an EQD Disaster Transport Jr en route to me. It's a sickness, I'm pretty decisive with most types of effect!

What I will say is the DD-3 is a great pedal if you just want a solid digital delay, no frills, no oscillations, nothing too shoegazey, just a clear, v digital sounding delay. It you just want to make noise, the carbon copy is a really good analog delay, but was a tad too uncontrollable for me, and quite noisy at longer repeats. It was v close to being the one for me, and I'm hoping the disaster transport jr, with a tone control for the repeats, should do the job, but history is not on my side here ;)

I've had a fair few delays during my guitar playing days and when I moved over to Bass I still had a MIJ DD2, a DD7 and a Mad Proffessor Deep Blue.

I tried out all three on bass and found the DD2 to be outstanding. It had really clear, bright repeats that as much as I tried, I couldn't dial into the DD7. Maybe a result of the mystical chips that Boss used in the 80's Japanese builds, who knows!!

The Mad Prof Deep Blue had similar characteristics to the Carbon Copy described in the above post.

DD3's and DD7's are probably the easiest to get hold of and mess about with.

[quote name='telbomber' timestamp='1396423561' post='2413283']
ok so GAS tells me I need a delay pedal but I'm not so sure. I guess I COULD use it but I don't consider it as essential as my Big Muff or Chorus.

It could even be that I just wanna make as many silly noises as the guitarists, who knows.

What do you guys think?

Anyone got one going cheap that I could try to know one way or the other?

Tel.
[/quote]

In case you are interested:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/232004-only-the-boss-dd-3-delay-left/

Not because I'm selling it but the DD-3 is a great Delay!

I've completely been turned onto short delays for soloing, completely lifted from Janek. It's a lot nicer to my ears than a Chorus for sure.
Analogue seems better suited to that as the trails degrade in tone, to me this allows the original signal (your solo) to take precedence over the effect, whereas a really clean digital delay could take away from the original signal with its super clean repeats.

However big 'ol soundscapes really benefit from long clean digital delay in my opinion, so yes, it depends on what you want to achieve really.

Si

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I love my [color=#000000]Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter - beautiful delay plus tons of crazy sounds you can get out of its oscillation, modulation, and whatever it is that it does. Size-wise it might not be the most pedalboard friendly delay unit out there but it looks very retro cool. Highly recommended![/color][/font][/size]

cheers guys. I had a pretty decent delay patch on my boss me50B. single repeat and about 50ms ish just for an intro where it was just me and the hi hat. wondering if it's worth shelling out for now I've moved to single pedals. looks like a digital delay is the way to go.

The Me-50b really does have some good sounds! If you don't mind the size of the pedal (i.e. you use more than the delay), stick with it if you're happy.
If you want a really good digital delay in a small footprint, that has an alright analogue modelling setting for playing around with.....as well as a useable phrase looper....get the Boss DD-7

Si