Why become a member? ×

April Composition Challenge - GET YOUR FUNK ON!

Skol303

[color=#800000][size=5][b]>>> UPDATE <<<[/b][/size][/color]

Firstly, wow! I've only had a very brief listen to some of the entries and from what I've heard they sound great. Well done guys, you've all clearly got the [i]fonk[/i].

I'm planning to launch the voting tomorrow night, as stated in the original post, but... I'm away on a work trip to the depths of mid-Wales [i](you've all read Heart of Darkness, right?)[/i] where I might not have a WiFi connection.

So if you don't see the voting thread get pinned tomorrow night, then don't panic. In which case I'll post it up late on Thursday and allow an extra day of voting to compensate.

Which reminds me, I need to get my own track finished :blink:

Cheers all,

Paul

Ok, I’m done.

Enjoyed it this month. I can’t really say that what I’ve come up with is funk. Maybe more like soul, or RnB, or well, I don’t bloody know… it’s funkish. That’s as good as I get :D

Bass and guitars are my own (Fender P with flats and an old Strat copy). Drums were written in MIDI using a sampled kit (one of several I’ve nerdily put together over the years). Rhodes piano and strings are from the default Reason factory sound bank, again written in MIDI but with some automation to help make them sound ‘played’.

The vocal is unsurprisingly not my own. It's a royalty-free acapella sung by a lady called Patricia Edwards, who from her SoundCloud seems to put out a lot of soul and Gospel. Nice voice. Well it was until I dropped the pitch, fooled around with it and turned her into something sounding like Gnarls Barkley ;) It sort of fitted… so it stayed.

Here’s the link:

http://soundcloud.com/skollob/never

Comments and criticism very welcome, as always.

As mentioned, I’ll try to post up the voting thread tomorrow night. Failing that (due to work travels) it’ll be on Thursday.

Cheers all.

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1398203113' post='2431725']...Comments and criticism very welcome, as always...[/quote]

My oh my, the source hasn't dried up; yet another chef d'oeuvre for the collection. I really don't know how all these will be received. The voting is going to be a real lottery, I think. Another potential winner, Paul; well done.

[quote name='AL&#045;the&#045;Bassman' timestamp='1398204193' post='2431735']Very Good Track Paul.
love it[/quote]

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1398205951' post='2431758']My oh my, the source hasn't dried up; yet another chef d'oeuvre for the collection. I really don't know how all these will be received. The voting is going to be a real lottery, I think. Another potential winner, Paul; well done.[/quote]

Thanks guys! Glad you dig it :)

I'll post up some feedback on everyone's tracks once we get to the voting.

Hopefully I'll have the voting thread pinned up later tonight...

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1398285595' post='2432594']
[url="https://soundcloud.com/timothy-terrence-higgins-iv/sunshine-serenade"]https://soundcloud.c...nshine-serenade[/url]
Here's my last minute entry[warts and all ] knocked out late last night,with my two tired bandmates
[/quote]

Nice one, Tim; like the warts. 'Thumb's up' for the three of you. A lot of funky competition, this month.