Why become a member? ×

Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster vs Squier VM Jazzmaster

Jono Bolton

Hi all,
I was watching some old Elvis Costello videos at the weekend, and now I'm hankering for a Jazzmaster. Has anyone had a chance to compare the Squier JM and VM models? From what I understand, the JM is more like a CV in terms of it's build quality, but doesn't have the classic Jazzmaster sound. Plus the JM only comes in vintage white, and I'd really rather have sunburst or sonic blue.

I've had a look online for comparisons on other forums, but apparently our transatlantic pals can't have a discussion without it all descending into "you don't have a f***ing clue what you're talking about." Hopefully us Brits can be a bit more diplomatic.

Cheers!

I've tried the VM but not the J Mascis, and I play a home built parts jazzmaster myself. The quality of the VMs seems fine to me and the necks are very nice, though they don't always have the prettiest wood on the sunburst finishes. The original type jazzmaster bridge on the VM annoys some players, and it would be a good idea to check one out in person to see if you get any problems with this bridge and your playing style. The VM pickups are closer to the original Jazzmaster style (though with a hotter bridge pickup) while the JM pickups are more like P90s. So the VM will get you closer if you're going for Elvis Costello's sound.

Cheers guys, from what I've read the VM has the Jazzmaster sound, but the Mascis has the better build quality, like the Matt Freeman P Bass, it's similar to the CV range. I'll probably go for the Mascis, and swap out the pickups and the scratchplate, I'll just deal with the fact that it's white.

I've never played the VM but I have a J Masics and I really like it. I'd say the pick ups are brighter than those on a standard Jazzmaster. I know Mascis uses a sig model on stage sometimes and has swapped them out for SD Antiquity pups.

The bridge is much better than the VM (so I've heard) and the neck is lovely to play.

If I may... the Squier J Mascis is the better of the two. No two ways about it.
I tried a couple of the VM JMs when they first came out and ended up buying one of the Jaguars! They just felt a bit, well - cheap. The Mascis on the other hand doesn't feel like it's a cheap guitar, although neither does it feel like a 'proper' Jazzmaster. The pickups are beefier (sort of P90 in design apparently) and suit 'rock' sounds, so no trad Jazzmaster tones either. Also the bridge is Gibson-style Tune-o-Matic, not the proper rocking Fender offset type. This should be replaced with a roller bridge at the first opportunity as the strings tend to snag on the saddles if you use the trem a lot. Oh and speaking of the trem, it has been relocated, a la CP, so there is also a difference in feel from a proper Jazzmaster and fewer of those 'famous' overtones.i
The neck- it is chunky, but not unpleasantly fat Gibsonesque- I can swap between it and a Rickenbacker 610 (toothpick thick) without any problem - and the fat frets make it a very nice thing.
That said, I want another Squier Mascis in which I would like to install a set of vintage-sounding Jazzmaster pickups. A compromise perhaps, but I have had rather negative views on the Japanese Fender Jazzmasters after having owned two less than impressive 90's ones, the only other option for me would be an AVRI or a vintage, and both are expensive options. You can always Tippex over the Squier logo!

• 2 weeks later...

The necks on the Squier J Mascis are really great. I echo everything that has already been said regarding the quality and non standard pickups/bridge.

The VM Jazzmaster is a great instrument in it's own right. The pickups sound great to my ears and set up with a bit of care the bridges are fine. You have to kiss a lot of frogs though to find the gems. I tried a fair few before finding one that was well built, had no finish flaws and sounded great. Although maybe I'm a bit too picky when it comes to this. A lot of the ones I tried that had problems could probably have been solved given a good set-up.