Why become a member? ×

Gary Willis

nick@ibassmag

[color=#333333]On this day in 2012, Tribal Tech made their long-awaited return with the release of their album "X". 2014 also marks 30 years since Tribal Tech started out, and 15 years since Ibanez launched the Gary Willis Signature model! [/color][color=#333333]Absolutely love Gary's playing, his approach to improvising and the way he 'hacks' his gear until it does what he wants it to do. A real bass hero.[/color]

Yep, I'm a fan. I can only marvel at his funkiness and extraordinary technique. I love the way he works with drummers and programmed elements.

Some of his playing tips have helped me too - especially his emphasis on playing as lightly as possible to avoid fatigue.

I must get to see him in concert at some point.

I loved the first two LPs, Spears and Dr Hee but, after that, I lost interest (I have owned several more lps/cds but let them go). I find Willis's playing a bit bland and predictable, despite his obvious virtuosity. I think he is one of those guys that needs to be produced by great writers etc. Like Jeff Berlin, all that technique but not much emotional content. There is a cd with Willis and Allan Holdsworth playing standards that says it all. It just doesn't work.

He is a monster player, though.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1396033779' post='2409337']
Like Jeff Berlin, all that technique but not much emotional content. There is a cd with Willis and Allan Holdsworth playing standards that says it all. It just doesn't work.

He is a monster player, though.
[/quote]

I beg to differ Bilbo - I guess we could argue all day about 'emotional content' in any player's playing - I personally love the way Willis uses long sustained notes in a highly expressive way, agreed the Holdsworth CD is a case in (your) point but I think that's partly due to the 1980s production values and the fact it was all recorded seperately - not live in a single room - seeing him with Tribal Tech last July was truly one of the best jazz-fusion gigs I've ever seen.

Anyway his latest trio album is bloody brilliant - and there are some beautiful ballad bits on this as well as some incredible interaction with his trio - not sure how emotional you need this stuff to be to enjoy it but I love it:

http://abstractlogix.bandcamp.com/album/retro

Cheers

Mike

I love Gary Willis's playing since I got my first tribal tech album which was Illicit, and I think he has great sensitivity and sense of melody in his playing. I love the dark warm tone he gets and is one of the bass players who I feel uses effects and his technique in a very musical way rather than to show off.

I saw him live with Tribal tech in Manchester and he was phenomenal. I even got a chat with him during the interval. I friend of mine went to Italy for a week for some one to one lessons with him and came back extremely happy and inspired.

Jazzyvee

I love Gary Willis' playing, and his innovative technology-embracing approach. And his solos are so melodic, more often than not you can actually whistle along with them. For me, [i]that[/i] is the mark of a good solo -- anybody can arse about pointlessly in E all day, but it takes real imagination to actually turn it into a tune.