Why become a member? ×

Enjoying Robert Sledge

Huge Hands

Yesterday, in HMV, I found a DVD of Ben Folds Five "Live Sessions at West 54th". I think it was recorded mid-late nineties (sorry can't be @rsed to look at the box!).

Anyway, I've had it on full blast all night while Mrs HH has been out. I had forgotten how much of an influence Robert Sledge was on me when I was first playing, not that I play anything like him.

I'm now even thinking of getting a distortion pedal to blend with clean signal to fatten out our band sound!

Classic.

For you gearheads, looks like he's playing an Epiphone Les Paul and an upright (on one song). I can see a Marshall head and a Marshall and an Orange cab.

Quality! A one for the "Underrated Bass Players" thread if ever I saw one.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Cheers!

Edited by Huge Hands

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='236962' date='Jul 10 2008, 11:16 PM']Yesterday, in HMV, I found a DVD of Ben Folds Five "Live Sessions at West 54th". I think it was recorded mid-late nineties (sorry can't be @rsed to look at the box!).

Anyway, I've had it on full blast all night while Mrs HH has been out. I had forgotten how much of an influence Robert Sledge was on me when I was first playing, not that I play anything like him.

I'm now even thinking of getting a distortion pedal to blend with clean signal to fatten out our band sound!

Classic.

For you gearheads, looks like he's playing an Epiphone Les Paul and an upright (on one song). I can see a Marshall head and a Marshall and an Orange cab.

Quality! A one for the "Underrated Bass Players" thread if ever I saw one.

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Cheers![/quote]

+1

You know the one thing that did it for me with Mr Sledge is that his playing with BFF had the ability to turn two [normally] clean sounding instruments (piano and bass guitar, obviously) into something that sounded wholly distorted and very rocky. This prompted me to try out stuff with very clean guitar fuzzy bass and it turned into big rock. Quite a nice surprise.
P

I've got it on again now. I think it must have been recorded to promote that album because most of the stuff is off there and the crowd don't really seem to clap in anticipation when Ben Folds introduces them, although they do when the first album tunes are called.

I agree, they wrote some very good stuff. All three appear to be doing some really good 3-part harmony vocals as well.