Why become a member? ×

GK MB150-III vs MB112-II

pluckyourgstring

I'm looking to down size from an ampeg rig to something a lot smaller. If I didn't have to worry about the cost I would buy a GK MB150 without hesitation, but the price of the MB112 is more to my liking.

I know the M150 is slightly lighter and smaller, but the important thing is the sound. Has anyone compared the two amps? Is there much difference in sound? and is the MB112 suitable for smallish gigs?

Any help would be appreciated.

I downsized from an Ampeg PF500/PF115 rig to an MB112 - I had initially intended to use the MB112 for quieter gigs on double bass with my blues band and keep the ampeg for louder rock gigs (mic'ed up kit, two guitarists with stupid loud stacks) but the MB112 coped easily with that too, so I sold the ampeg.

I have an mb112-ii. Bought for practice/small gigs where my rig would be impractical. I have to say, it's a fantastic thing. Yes, don't expect cheat crushing low end at high volume, but it does sound damn good, and is loud enough for a surprising range of gigs, it's beautifully built too.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1395270532' post='2400627']
I have an mb112-ii. Bought for practice/small gigs where my rig would be impractical. I have to say, it's a fantastic thing. Yes, don't expect cheat crushing low end at high volume, but it does sound damn good, and is loud enough for a surprising range of gigs, it's beautifully built too.
[/quote]

Goof stuff, thanks mate!

I think they're pretty different animals...
The MB150 has a lightweight "traditional" amp head and an aluminum enclosure with a Paragon woofer made to work in a smallest volume. It's kinda "hi-end" and certainly wasn't cheap when bought new. It sounds very nice for the size, with a second 12" is really gets loud and sounds much better too.
The MB112 is a cheaper chinese combo... I tried it and disliked it. It's got a pretty nasaly tone, no highs or lows. So a not-so-great cab with an MB200 (an amp that I owned twice for the weight but never liked for the tone).
I tried the first version, though... they could have made it better with the new version. The 115 sounded much, much better.

If I had to choose between those 2, I'd go for the 150. But I know some of them already were equipped with a class-D power section and I've heard it tends to fail sooner or later. Be careful.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, good to read your comments! What do you think in between the mb150 and the mb112 would be better for Double Bass? (I mostly play arco) I know the best it might be the acoustic image but i cant afford that at the moment! Thanks!

In my personal experience, if you can get your hands on a Genz Benz shuttle 3.0-10T, that's a much better compact combo than the GK. The GK was good back in the day, but it's a heavy little thing that doesn't sound great in comparison to the Genz Benz.

That's what I'd do if I were looking for a small combo for double bass. I had one for years and it was awesome, I regret selling it.

Sorry if you didn't want other options... I just never got along with the GK, and I've practised with them and gigged them hundreds of times.

Edited by Jazzjames