Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Truss Rod Tool

King Tut

I just picked up a rather splendid if battle scarred Yamaha RBX 800 from Cash Converters.It didn't come with the truss rod tool. Anyone know what size it is and where I can get one? The end of the truss rod isn't and Allen key jobby a la fender - more of a hex nut. Cheers!

Is it accessed from the body end or the headstock end of the neck?

If it's the neck, can you use a 1/4" drive with an extension bar and get a socket that'll fit? (likely to be metric on a Japanese/Korean Instrument)
I can't see how you'd access a normal hex nut/bolt from the body end without a super-duper special tool...

If it will take a socket as described above, don't use a long-handled ratchet, or you risk exerting too much torque on the truss rod. A "T" handled drive would be ideal.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='236451' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:55 PM']Is it accessed from the body end or the headstock end of the neck?

If it's the neck, can you use a 1/4" drive with an extension bar and get a socket that'll fit? (likely to be metric on a Japanese/Korean Instrument)
I can't see how you'd access a normal hex nut/bolt from the body end without a super-duper special tool...

If it will take a socket as described above, don't use a long-handled ratchet, or you risk exerting too much torque on the truss rod. A "T" handled drive would be ideal.[/quote]

It's accessed from the body end and I reckon I need a super duper special tool! Anyone got one??!!

I could probably get a box spanner on it if i took off the neck but don't really want to do that. Fortunately, the action is fine at the moment so there's no rush!

If it's like the BB3000 fretless I have, then it's an 8mm nut. I had the same problem and ended up getting a rather nice Facom cranked open box spanner thingy, which does the job perfectly. You'd probably need to go to a [i]good[/i] tool shop to find such a thing, but it's much better quality than the freeby junk items they bundle with the bass, not that you even have one of those :) .

B.

Edited by Alemboid

It's one of [url="http://www.chrometrader.co.uk/ViewProdDetails.asp?prod_code=76%2E8&Prod_name=SERIES%2076%20OGV%20ANGLED%20OPEN%20SOCKET%20WRENCH%208MM%20LENGTH%20114MM"]these[/url] in fact. I didn't get it from this firm, so no endorsement is implied!

If your bass is similar, no amount of fiddling around with 8mm sockets and handles will fit unfortunately.

B.

Edited by Alemboid