Why become a member? ×

Dilemma

Faithless

So, I gotta help for a friend, bass-playing-beginner, to choose the very first bass..

He says, he's a bit more after jazz/funk music.

Because of low bass-assortment here, in Lithuania; due to waiting for 'booked' instrument from for about three to ten months, we're choosing between [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_lithuania.html"]Ibanez BTB670[/url] and [url="http://www.fret-king.com/perception4_b.html"]Fret-King Perception[/url]...

Any recommendations about these?

Fret-King claims to be ex-Vintage craftsman's mark - it's not popular at all for now (re-selling problems..), and is quite 'young' in bass-making industry ( there are only 4 basses to choose from Fret-King..)

So, these circumstances are getting me away from it a bit, but I gotta try him in shop tomorrow first...

Ibanez is a bit 'clearer' to me, as I'm playing one, but, on the other side, never had any intimate relations with BTB either(tomorrow's the first time :)), so waitin' for opinions, also..

Cheers
Faith

Edited by Faithless

Tricky choice: Ibanez basses are really good value in terms of build quality etc
I've tried their SR range they're great. Can't say the same for the fret king as I haven't tried them although they look very well spec'd. You or your friend really needs to compare them.

Good luck
Mike

p.s. My grandfather was from Kaunas!

Unless you're going for a UK built Green Label series FretKing, I'd for the Ibanez.

The UK FretKings are something a bit special (I own an very custom Esprit V Guitar made in 1998), the Blue Labels models are not so special and actually somewhat overpriced for what they are and where they are made.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='236172' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:18 PM']Based on the fact that that fret king looks like cheap rubbish, i'd go for the ibanez, they're pretty good.[/quote]
[quote name='Faithless' post='236175' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:22 PM']It's not cheap, actually, his price is just about the Ibby...[/quote]

Pwned. :)

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='236609' date='Jul 10 2008, 03:18 PM']Pwned. :)[/quote]

off topic i know but why is there a 'P' in front of owned? never got that one.

but i'll agree the fret king does look a bit cheap. maybe its just a sh*te photo.

EDIT:

just had a proper look at their site, and the fret king stuff (to me at least looks awful) and very expensive for what it is. hmm

Edited by lowhand_mike