Why become a member? ×

Hondo deluxe series precision bass

Kev

bought one of these from my local crap converters couple of days ago for £50, seemed like a good deal, got it home to discover the neck was warped and the pickups were f***ed, so i took it back and shockingly they actaully gave me a refund.

just out of interest, would it have been worth sorting the neck out and replacing the pickups? was £50 a good price. it looked 80's like, with the big ass brass bridge n string tree, was quite nicely mojo'd. neck felt great apart from the whole warped thing. sunburst in colour with matching headstock

Crack Converters can be surprisingly reasonable - a while back, one by me had a Satellite (similar ilk of crap to Hondo) J copy up at £50 - I tried it & one of the pickups was dead, I asked if they'd knock a bit off (expecting a tenner, at best) and walked out with it for £25! It was just a dry joint on a pot, as well... :)

If the neck on that Hondo was irreparably screwed - ie not fixable with truss adjustments or shimming - then you're better off shot of it.

Jon.

I had a black one of these back in the early 80's (first bass) and the neck twisted on that as well - you're probably better off with the refund :)
From what I've heard most of the hondo bass necks were more than a little dodgy.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='236438' date='Jul 10 2008, 12:42 PM']I was eyin that up through the window, I've got a spare p neck and pickups laying about, might see if I can score it for £20, be worth that.[/quote]
ye its only a plywood body like but its quite nicely mojo'd