Why become a member? ×

Good quality mic stand - can you recommend one?

Hi

I need a new mic stand. I'm looking for something sturdy, heavy duty, good quality, which is easy to adjust and set up .... and pack away.

For some odd reason, I have a money no object policy for all of my gear ..... other than my mic stand. I've only ever spent about £15 on one - and they have all been terrible.

I need one as I sing lead vocals on about 1/4 of our songs and backing vocals on all of the rest.

What do all of you guys use?

I gig two or three times a month and have to set up and tear down all of my own gear - so I need something decent.

Can someone please recommend THE BEST mic stand for my needs?

Edited by The Dark Lord

Anything by K &M has my stamp of approval. I've got a K&M mic stand that I've had for around 4/5 years now and it has to be the one item of my gear that I'm not previous with. It has knocks and missing finish all over it but every tightener and clasp has remained perfect and holds the mic at whatever position you want without the slow droop you get with others.

I think I paid just short of £30 for it and it's been used regularly.

Fellow band members have purchased other makes ( Quiklok, Stagg etc ) but my old trusty has out-lasted all of them and still works as it should.

Edited by Westie9

+1 for K&M for normal gigging use.

If you need something that will take almost anything you and the audience can throw at it and looks a bit more flash that you standard microphone stand have a word with [url=http://www.rebelmicstands.com]Rebel Custom Mic Stands[/url].

I've got one of these: after the lifting mechanism failed they sent me a new one, way out of warranty. [url="http://www.herculesstands.com/mics/MS632B.html"]http://www.herculesstands.com/mics/MS632B.html[/url]

You can basically adjust it with one hand, so you needn't put down your bottle of Brandy on stage....

Seconded with Beyer Dynamic, we've had ours for years. Senn appear to be pretty decent too, my drummer friend has an ancient one which just just come to me for repair from a threaded screw. Even if it's ancient, a lick of paint and sorting the thread will be a lot cheaper than replacing, and it'll see another good few years I reckon.

I've had my Beyer for 16 years and it still works as well as the day I got it. That's a lot of gigs! The only thing that stops me trying a Hercules (whose guitar stands I use) is that the diameter is too big to fit the clip-on tray that I use for my Bose Tone Match.