Why become a member? ×

What happens to the signal when two of the same pedal are chained?

Mexicola

Hi guys,

Im not very technically minded so this might be a really obvious question. But, what happens to the signal and sound when two of the same pedal are connected in series?

For example, if I had two Wren and Cuff Russian Tall Fonts on at the same time; would this boost the signal twice as much creating a 'fizzier' distortion or would it make little audible difference because the first pedal has already boosted the signal past the threshold?

I don't know a lot about that particular pedal, but essentially if you chain overdrives and fuzzes you tend to end up with more volume and more fuzz/distortion. Sometimes the effects are really cool, othertimes it turns into a big horrible mess. The only way to know is to try it. Quite often chaining fuzzes leads to insane sounds.

With fuzzes, often stacking 2 overly saturated effects will create an overly compressed sound, which doesn't suit many people. You might find that stacking two Russian Tall Fonts at lower gain settings will achieve a tone different to one Tall Russian at a higher gain setting.
Personally, I find it more fun stacking different pedals, mix & match :)

Si

im with sibob on this one, stacking different pedals gets a very cool effect, some work really well together some not so but thats the joy of experimenting which is why i love pedals!

currently in love with my lateral sounds "root" but ill also turn on my mesa flux drive to give it a bit more gain or darker sound to work with. ive also had a ls-2 before with pedals in each loop with made mixing the 2 sounds alot more manageable was kinda like using two amps?

andy

Isn't the Ibanez Double Tubescreamer basically just two TS-9 circuits built on top of one another? (I had the opportunity of trying several variants in Guitar Guitar when I went searching for a Bass 'screamer, so I've been able to compare the double and standard side-by-side.)

Would be very interested to see what happens if you start chaining modulation effects, mind...though I suspect it could get very messy very quickly!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1393687877' post='2383377']
With fuzzes, often stacking 2 overly saturated effects will create an overly compressed sound, which doesn't suit many people. You might find that stacking two Russian Tall Fonts at lower gain settings will achieve a tone different to one Tall Russian at a higher gain setting.
Personally, I find it more fun stacking different pedals, mix & match :)

Si
[/quote]

This, I have an always on overdrive at low gain and then another with slightly different settings to stack on top of the low gain one. To me it sounds better than having one for low gain and another for high gain.
It's all opinions though

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1394037094' post='2387220']
Would be very interested to see what happens if you start chaining modulation effects, mind...though I suspect it could get very messy very quickly!
[/quote]

You would need to get ones with midi to sync the tempos. That to put them into a feedback loop with a delay at the end (set to single delay for feedback loop), i find delays help sync up modulation effects.
Im quite sure a flanger is actualy two phasers, one still and another with an lfo. This is what my flanger hoax is anyway, and that sounds like a flanger if i set it as such.

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1394126464' post='2388234']
You would need to get ones with midi to sync the tempos. That to put them into a feedback loop with a delay at the end (set to single delay for feedback loop), i find delays help sync up modulation effects.
[/quote]

That's a good point: I could always just boot up Pod Farm and simulate it for myself. Much easier to sync them if I can just type the tempos in!