Why become a member? ×

Calling Jap Experts Mystery Acoustic

Dave Vader

Mystery this is, I picked it up for 60 quid in Crack converters today, lovely thing, but I have never heard of Yama. Looked like a yamaha from a distance, but isn't. I walked past a Yamaha FG410 to get to this one, it is utterly lovely, but I would love to know some of the company. It looks 70s and Japanese, but the sticker on the back of the headstock has been removed, it may say Taiwan, it may say Japan. I will never know. Will maybe post pictures later, but have only seen one other on the net in Singapore.
Any ideas (I'm looking at you Bassasin and Noel, please?) :)

Wish I could help but I'm not too clued up on acoustics. "Yama" isn't ringing a bell, but in addition to Yamaha there was also Yamaki (related to Daion) and Yamato (prob. an importer rebrand) so it's not impossible it could be related somehow to one of these brands.

It's equally possible that it was an importer trying to use a familiar-sounding name for a product - same as the Isonez, IBZ & Gerrinez brands and (perhaps more even more obvious) Founder & Fresher! Just guesswork, so hopefully Noel will be along with some proper facts! :D

Anyway it's a very pretty box, and £60 for a decent guitar is a steal, whoever made it.

Jon.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1392948692' post='2374652']
Does it say anything useful on the label inside?
[/quote]

Just the model number, and reiterating the makers name again, which is probably an importer.
Will try and get a closer upper (yeah that's a real word) photo of it, and the other bits sometime this week.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1393959580' post='2386323']
I am very much liking those lyre-topped tuner plates.

The rest of it too, mind. But there's something quite charming about them. :)
[/quote]

Oft seen on the sides of older cheaper classical guitars they are. Which lends creedence to the japanese providence of the thing. IMHO
:)
Thanks Skank.