Why become a member? ×

Prosebass 5 string fretless
£150

Sambrook

This is a wonderful bass, one I said I would never sell. However, my Letts fretless has arrived, and I now have 2 too many basses, so this must go.
It wasn't made for me, I found it on Ebay, but it might as well have been, cos it fits like a glove. My only niggles are 5 strings and one pickup- I prefer 4 and 2.
We all know the quality of Paul's work, so i won't sing his praises too much. Enough to say that I liked this one so much, I commissioned a fretted version from him.
The only defects are from my fiddling. I have used this bass as my testbed for modifications, so I will list the current spec, then list what I've done to it:
All mahogany body
Single coil-tapped Artec humbucker
Throughneck
Oil/wax finish
Wenge fingerboard with brass dot markers at each position
I've done the following to it:
Put a Rustins plastic resin finish on the board. I copied this from another of Paul's basses, and it gives a lovely smooth finish without any of the glassy squeakiness of a varnish finish
Experimented with a piezo bridge. This means there is another set of screw holes underneath the current bridges
Changed a broken tuner for a chrome one (the rest are gold)
Highlighted the appropriate dot markers (3,5,7 etc) with liquid pen and stickers. Looks fine, but def not professional.
Wired the pickup straight to the jack. It's had 2 or 3 different eq's in, but now it's just the coil tap switch.
Had the cavity professionally enlarged, and a battery box put in. This was skilfully done for me by a guy in Kendal, Pete Terrill.

So what we have now is a great bass, showing some of the scars of experimentation, but with tremendous potential (estate agent speak). There is plenty of room for an active eq. I was contemplating putting another pickup in, but chickened out. It comes with Elixirs on, which sound good, even though the E string is spliced to get it to fit. I had Thomastik flats on, which sounded WONDERFUL, but I'm keeping them.

£150 is a really good price for a handmade bass, I think, so I can't go lower. I have a brand new Hiscox flight case if the buyer wants, but I'll have to charge an extra £50 for that. That will be up for sale separately as well, just fyi.

I'm happy to answer ant questions, and thanks for reading

Hi Sean, let me know if you are selling the 4 string, this has 1 too many!

to aid potential purchasers, here the bass when it was brand new.

[attachment=155206:m5.JPG]

The bass had a fretted 'sister' which had an additional pickup fitted but will give you some idea of tone and playability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjmTaDN_cTo

Cheers

Paul

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.