Why become a member? ×

Black Sabbath basses

Graham

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1396032651' post='2409320']
Cracking video, thanks for posting.

That prototype signature Precision is far more attractive than the one you can actually buy.
[/quote]

I think the production model is nicer! :)

You get a matching black headstock, and there are more inlays on the fingerboard on the production version . Geezer's prototype is a bit more basic. I'm sure they would build you one like that if you asked them , if that is what you wanted. The only thing they won't do is the Sabbath angel inlay, because it's a registered trademark and they don't have permission to use it.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1396035029' post='2409355']

I think the production model is nicer! :)

You get a matching black headstock, and there are more inlays on the fingerboard on the production version . Geezer's prototype is a bit more basic. I'm sure they would build you one like that if you asked them , if that is what you wanted. The only thing they won't do is the Sabbath angel inlay, because it's a registered trademark and they don't have permission to use it.
[/quote]

That's what I liked about it, I loved the Sabbath angel inlay at the 5th fret, fairly subtle but looked great; shame they didn't get permission to use it, given the cost of a USA Lakland, it can't have been a massive percentage cost increase. I've never been wild about matching headstocks either, prefer the contrast of the bare wood :-)

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1396043532' post='2409495']
That's what I liked about it, I loved the Sabbath angel inlay at the 5th fret, fairly subtle but looked great; shame they didn't get permission to use it, given the cost of a USA Lakland, it can't have been a massive percentage cost increase. I've never been wild about matching headstocks either, prefer the contrast of the bare wood :-)
[/quote]
Well they will definitely do you a version with an unpainted headstock if you request that.

As far as I know, they were refused permission to use the logo, full stop. It wasn't a question of failing to agree a percentage. The question of who actually owns and controls use of the Black Sabbath brand name has been subject to legal wrangling in the recent past, so maybe it is a bit too thorny an issue to negotiate a deal at the moment. Just speculation on my part, though, I hasten to add.

Probably right on that.

In all honesty, the closest I'd get to a Butler model would be a black Skyline Bob Glaub with one of his signature EMGs in it, a USA Lakland is far beyond my means. Also, to be fair, my G&L SB2 isn't that far away from his tone.

I will just add my 10P worth, as I have been a Geezer Fan for many years!

I am sure Geezer said he used his precisions up to Master and this record (in his opinion) has his favourite tone of Sabbath's 70s albums. The Dan Armstrong was used on Vol 4 and Geezer reckons that this album has his worst sound. He did however stick with shorter scale basses thereafter, 1st the White JB, (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath era) and then a succesion of JB SG ish styles sun burst maple neck also an 8 string (Sabotage era) then all black for (Technical era Gypsy & Its alright Vid)) and finally Black & white Stripe (Never say Die & Hard Road VID) this is a different one to the JD Humbug further up the thread. I think he got the humbug one later on during the Never Say Die US tour. Never uses that one on all pics I have seen for UK tour (Always the JB). Geezer reckons that he got the cross inlays before Tony (his idea). As for the Never Say Die Ric. I have quite a few pictures from the recording sessions and only the Ric is in any of the photos. As for the BC Rich Eagle, when he says it was custom made for him, He probably means he ordered it, as they were all pretty much handmade. Also it did not have EMGs, I am certain that they were loaded with stock Dimarzios. All photos from programme etc support this... I was very lucky to see Sabbath up close at Newcastle on the "Die Young" tour 1980 and Mob Rules 1981 tour. Interestingly (to me perhaps not anyone else) about 5 years ago I did see an all black BC Rich Eagle with ebony fretboard cross inlays, a cross on the Headstock and EMGs. So perhaps he did custom order an Eagle with EMGs? but I dont think he ever used it in studio or on tour.I got a Born Again programme and he seems to be using an Aria and the standard Eagle at this time.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Von Death' timestamp='1396094310' post='2409860']
I will just add my 10P worth, as I have been a Geezer Fan for many years!

I am sure Geezer said he used his precisions up to Master and this record (in his opinion) has his favourite tone of Sabbath's 70s albums. The Dan Armstrong was used on Vol 4 and Geezer reckons that this album has his worst sound. He did however stick with shorter scale basses thereafter, 1st the White JB, (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath era) and then a succesion of JB SG ish styles sun burst maple neck also an 8 string (Sabotage era) then all black for (Technical era Gypsy & Its alright Vid)) and finally Black & white Stripe (Never say Die & Hard Road VID) this is a different one to the JD Humbug further up the thread. I think he got the humbug one later on during the Never Say Die US tour. Never uses that one on all pics I have seen for UK tour (Always the JB). Geezer reckons that he got the cross inlays before Tony (his idea). As for the Never Say Die Ric. I have quite a few pictures from the recording sessions and only the Ric is in any of the photos. As for the BC Rich Eagle, when he says it was custom made for him, He probably means he ordered it, as they were all pretty much handmade. Also it did not have EMGs, I am certain that they were loaded with stock Dimarzios. All photos from programme etc support this... I was very lucky to see Sabbath up close at Newcastle on the "Die Young" tour 1980 and Mob Rules 1981 tour. Interestingly (to me perhaps not anyone else) about 5 years ago I did see an all black BC Rich Eagle with ebony fretboard cross inlays, a cross on the Headstock and EMGs. So perhaps he did custom order an Eagle with EMGs? but I dont think he ever used it in studio or on tour.I got a Born Again programme and he seems to be using an Aria and the standard Eagle at this time.
[/quote]

According to a YouTube vid I've just watched, the reason EMG are making geezers pickups at the moment (the passive P/Js that are in his Laklands) is because he had an EMG loaded BC rich that he loved.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the bass you saw was actually a white USA Lakland 44-51. It's styled like an early 1950's P Bass, but with a split humbucking Precision pickup. Geezer uses that bass for some of Sabbath's set nowadays m I believe anyway. I wasn't at Hyde Park though, so can't swear to anything. From a distance, that bass could very easily be mistaken for a Schecter Model T, but I would be very surprised if Geezer had ditched his Lakland for one of those in the middle of a tour.

• 6 months later...