Why become a member? ×

GAS is a terrible condition (please talk me into it, or out of it... !)

Torben Hedstrøm

So, I caught the GAS bug again...

Currently I am running an EBS Neogorm 115 combo, with a Neoline 210 extension cab. However, I got this idea that I would like to separate my setup into a head + one or two cabs...

My experience with amps/cabs is fairly limited... The EBS rig is serving me fine as such, but I would like some more options with placement (rehearsal room issues), and also see if I could get a hold of an actual two channel amp (t switch between fretted/fretless playing.

I was trying to get a hold of the Neoline 115 cab on sale here, but as I can't persuade the guy to send it to Copenhagen, I am now seeking other possibilities...

If I am going down this route, I am pretty hot for the Glockenklang Blue soul head. Light, and seemingly very well put together. If any indication, my fretless has a Glockenklang pre, and it sounds fantastic !... So it that is the 'house sound' consider me hooked !!!. Another option could be an Aguilar SG 500 SC, or something locally produced like TC-Electronic.

I have a potential buyer for my 115 Combo, and the 210 Neoline cabs should not be too hard to shift either. A replacement I am considering is a couple of very nice Epiphani UL210 cabs for sale locally. Or maybe buying a new (gosh !) Neoline 115/212 extension cab, and keeping the 210 around. I am having my eye on the Genz Benz 210 cab on sale here as well, but even IF I could persuade the seller to wrap and send it, I am not sure 2x12" would cut it. But tempted still...

My questions for the more expirenced here is (in a nutshell):

How are the Epiphanies compared to EBS Neoline soundwise ?... I kind of like the very precise sound of the EBS units !.

Would there be even a remote possibilty, that the Genz 212 would be enough for Prog. rock rehearsal levels (fairly loud !), or am I dreaming ?.

Any other (2 channel) heads I should check out ?.

Hoping for some pointers... Another (very distant, in my current GAS-attack) option would be just keeping what I got, and be happy with that. However, then I would likely spend some time and money at the shrink instead :gas: .

Regards.

Torben

Don't know your cabs specifically but Epi's are soft to me, and EBS are more refined and hi fi even...altho I don't think that extends to the Classic line.
If you need something closer, consider TKS just over the water.

As a view on 212's typically, they should easily do what a 115 and 210 will do.
I find my 212 stronger and bite better than a 2x210 config so I would expect it to do better
than a 115+210. It depends on the cabs you get of course but I find most 115's I hear to be
an outdated sound/approach and 212's fit in far better..

Thanks alot for your opinion... It is much appreciated !.

Describing sound character in words is always hard, but soft is definately not what I need... That being said, I do think my EBS cabs may be a tad too 'Hi-Fi sounding', that being having a somewhat top end focus. I have had the tweeter turned all the way down on the from day one. Mid to bottom is however really tight, even when pushed a bit... Which is something I appreciate alot !!.

I have more or less decided to take the plunge on the Glock head. So in time I will need some cabs to go with it. I will try to look out out for some 2x212 solution I think... Or maybe 210+212 combination.

Regards Torben

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The EBS rig is serving me fine as such, but I would like some more options with placement (rehearsal room issues), and also see if I could get a hold of an actual two channel amp (t switch between fretted/fretless playing.[/font][/color][/quote]

technically what are the issues in the rehearsal room and how would having more options with placement make them better?
and... you've got a micro bass 11 in your sig - with that having 2 channels, and your amp having another one- you've already kinda got 3 channels...

Also- I can understand EBS and Glock being in the same territory amp wise - but TC is very very different.....

First: Thanks again for the comments, I am changing basses much much more often than amps - So I feel quite noob'ish in these waters.

Technically (I will try to keep it short)...
It may sound weird, but the rehearsal room is actually the shape of a dome, and with massive concrete 'walls'. Actually it's an old bunker built during the cold war... Alot of those old bunkers now serve as rehearsal rooms in Copenhagen :).

I am mainly having issues with two things:

One is (a classic, I think) that I am having alot of trouble hearing myself... Particularly when it all gets a bit loud. I know that the main cause of this is, that I am standing quite close to my gear. Other members claim that I am very very present where they stand. What I'm figuring is, that if I seperate my stuff, I could move the speakers away (and in front) of me, and still fiddle with my sound, being close to my amp.

Another issue (but a bit related) is, that I tend to get into the singers mic.. I try really hard to adjust my low end output, but given the shape of the room, and my placement there, it can't be cured completely. Again I figure, that a separated setup would give me more choices. At times I have also given it some thought, to go for something a bit 'lighter' cab wise. Thing is just that I really don't want to loose too much bottom end punch.

Regarding my Microbass... Well... It's a nice device as such. I use it mainly as an A/B switch and the preamp part of it is a bit unused (except for levelling out the outputs of the basses). I have this idea, that I would like an amp that supports dual inputs, thereby getting a more 'clean and uncolored' sound. I really prefer a straight up clean bass sound, and every effect I use have a sound degrating effect (maybe it's subjective... But still...). Part of the plan is to introduce a Lehle D.Loop for the effects, and have a nice celan-as-possible signal into a very nice head.

How would you describe the differences in sound of TC compared to say... Glock... Or EBS ?.

Just came across another option of configuration (keeping an eye on my local 'gumtree'). I could move my 115 Combo, and get a 110 EBS Neo cab to supply my 210... Thereby having a 310 configuration total. Not sure how (if ?!) that would work though...

Regards
Torben

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1392115945' post='2364768']
TKS, Hevos, Vanderkley or another EBS. You're spoilt for choice over there.

Do you have an opportunity to hear any of these your area?

I'd look at Bergantino cabs and also talk to Alex at Barefaced.
[/quote]

In this particular part of 'the mainland' it would seem that everyone is a guitarplayer. Bass gear just isn't moved at all, it seems.

Brandwise my options are pretty much Mesa/EBS/Orange/TC(ofcourse)/and some Fender stuff etc. if I wan't to be able to go try before buying.

Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with these brands though :)

Regards.
Torben

a dome with reflective walls.... oh dear.
I had similar practicing problems in a room in the arches of a church roof, everything that wasn't stone or wood floor was glass!
Personally if it's just for practicing I would go one cab that you can tilt back to point at you. More than one source the more random reflections will go everywhere...

So... Still struggling to figure out what to do for gear. Actually ended up purchasing a Momark 500 today, mostly to play around with it and see what that whole light weight amp thing is all about.

Went to the rehearsal room tonight to try it out, and experiment a bit with my rig, and my options. Hooked the Momark up to the 210 NeoLine EBS I have, and tested. First of all I must say that I am very very impressed with both the Momark and the smallish 210. Both handled my 5 string Dolphin quite good... Even at LOUD !!!. The 210 was elevated to just below earlevel, and that is really not adviceable in those conditions. Much much too bright !!... Very reflective concrete walls... Earbleeding !. Luckily I know from experience that they sound radically different under less extreme conditions. Impressed as I was with the size/volume ratio of the combination, it won't cut it as a practice rig.

As I small side note, I also hooked up the Momark to my EBS Neoline 110... Not even close to cutting it for band practise, but the combination was jawdroppingly capable for it's size... I was impressed to put it mildly... Maybe a combination of the 110 being 8 Ohm, and the Momark being one of them lightweight amps... I don't know... But god damn impressive !!.

To the point...

A Neoline 115 just came up for sale localy, and as I actually like the 115+210 EBS combinatin boxwise, I am tempted to buying it as a 'base system'. However I am slightly concerned as to my options on the amp side with that rig... Seeming as most bass amps are mono-only constructions, they usually don't cope too well with 2x4 Ohm cabs on the output. What would my options be for amps that could handle the 115+210 combination ?... Dual mono constructionas are rare in the world of bass amps ??. Any pointers will be appreciated ! :).

If I decide to go the 'lightweight amp' route, I will need to settle for 1 or 2 8 Ohm boxes... Preferably something not overly bright sounding. Experimenting with the 210 today, I am doubtful that a 212 will be enough for rehearsal (yes, it is loud !!... Thank god for earplugs). So I am looking a bit on 410's on the used market. Very very tempted by the Epiphani UL410 for sale on BC, price is reasonable, but postage is quite steep. I have another more or less local option, which is a Markbass 104HF (Made in Italy). Any other options I should look out for ?.

A bit of a longshot is... I will alomst certainly replace my Microbass with a Lehle Bassswitch DI. I could maybe use that to drive a dual mono poweramp of sorts, and go into the 210+115 ??. That should work... Right ?!.

Regards.
Torben

Edited by Torben Hedstrøm