Why become a member? ×

Scratch

Dr.Dave

Used the 54 Blueflower reissue last neet. Makes the ZZ trib show a lot easier now I'm not fighting the EpiEx I can tell you.

I was surprised how much output the stock pup has. Loud. Trouble is it's way too trebly by nature. I did expect this to be an issue but last night it was a problem. I'm heavy handed and I was getting loads of that awful scratchy noise both from right hand pluckettes and from my left hand moving up and down the strings

I backed the tone control off about halfway which improved things but it seems a shame to restrict the pup in that way - I'd rather solve things at source.

So - I already have a quarterpounder on its way for this bass. Even more output I should think plus a bit more bass end so I'll be able to drop the pup a little. That should help.

Wondering also about using half wounds but it's a lot of years since I tried any.

Any more suggestions? Partic if they come from experience.

I had a scratchy noise from my pups when my left hand run slightly over the strings.

I removed the pups & give them & their holsters a good clean as there was loads of dust & crumbled orange foam from an old gig bag, cleaned up the shielding plates & checked they was earthed ok, popped em back in & set em back up (takes a bit of patience & messing about at very low & very loud volumes for me) and that was the scratchy noise gone. Dusty pups appears to be the main cause of scratchy noise from what I've read on tinterweb.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Edited by xgsjx

Flats. I said that in my original post but deleted it and replaced it with the half wounds idea.

Don't tempt me , please don't tempt me. In a sense it would be limiting - or at least changing - the tonal possibilities so I'm keen to try other ideas first.

Trouble is , you're correct - flats would solve the problem in 5 mins.

• 2 weeks later...

On both my '51 reissues I used Ernie Ball nickel hybrid slinkies but the strings for me on my '54 warmoth are gold Optimas. I also have an SD quarter pounder and it is the blx.

I also always have it set with volume slightly backed off to avoid distortion but tone control fully open.