Why become a member? ×

I need an expert to tell me if these speakers work for a bass cab build

leosep

Hi all, how are you today? I need an expert to tell me if these speakers could work for a bass cab build. If not, why?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3212
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-3242
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2951

This is one of those "if you have to ask" scenarios. Drivers and cabs must be matched, using speaker modeling software, like WinISD Alpha Pro, which will accurately predict the low frequency response and maximum output, while results above 200Hz can be seen on the driver data sheet SPL charts. If you had the necessary skills to design your own cab, or to driver swap with an existing cab, you wouldn't be asking this question, and acquiring these skills literally takes years. If you're just learning start with tested designs using the drivers recommended for them for the first few builds; when you really start to understand how speakers work then you can start experimenting on your own.
As to those drivers, the first and last I'd avoid because you don't get the quality you need at those prices. The second looks OK, but the mids are weak, so it would best be used in a three way design. It's more of a PA driver than electric bass.

Thanks bill, yes i know drivers and cabs must be matched, using speaker modeling software, i have WinISD. Just wanted to know if these spekers that i already have could do the job, at least for a practice cab. I think i need to buy new ones then. I dont have the cabs done yet.

Edited by leosep

[quote name='leosep' timestamp='1391781745' post='2361213']
Thanks bill, yes i know drivers and cabs must be matched, using speaker modeling software, i have WinISD. Just wanted to know if these spekers that i already have could do the job, at least for a practice cab. I think i need to buy new ones then. I dont have the cabs done yet.
[/quote]If you already have them you've got nothing to lose, and it gives you the opportunity to experiment without making a huge investment.

The main problem with those drivers is that the manufacturer's specifications are likely to be wildly inaccurate. WinISD won't do you any good at all unless you have reliable T/S parameters. As to excursion and power handling, the specs are probably very optimistic. The frequency response of driver 2 looks fine to me but I doubt that it's accurate. It certainly looks the most promising of the trio.

Try the 12s in a 50-litre box, tune to 50Hz and see what you've got.

[quote name='leosep' timestamp='1391789837' post='2361359']
any way to make them work? acceptable? i use an SX 4-strings presicion bass.
[/quote]

Haven't modelled them but all these drivers have claimed T/S parameters that are 'normal' for drivers usually bass guitar (although Fs of each is a little on the low side so may lose midbass efficiency but gain lower down) with respectable excursion capability. Can't see frequency response charts but the quoted -3dB values are fairly typical.

However they are very cheap drivers, so if they work well in practice compared to 'well-known brands' then they represent a bargain. That's quite a big if! I would not be surprised if the production units showed a fair bit of variability from one to another, and the midrange response might be fairly ragged. Worth a go especially if you build with a pvc pipe port, that you can easily change the length of to suit tuning to an alternative driver if necessary.

I think what we are saying is that if they are up to the spec they are quoting then they would potentially be fairly good speakers depending upon how you use them of course. However they are unbelievably cheap and if something looks too good to be true it probably is.