Why become a member? ×

speakon

cclowend

Speakon cables are dead easy to use. Just push into Speakon socket, twist until the grey collar goes 'click' and you're done. Removal: Pull the grey collar back, twist and pull. Some cables have a metal button you pull back on instead of the collar, but the principle is the same.

There are Speakon sockets where you CAN use a 1/4" jack in the centre hole, and some where you CAN'T, just to confuse matters. Sockets where you CAN use them are often labelled... :) Hope this helps.

If you need to buy Speakon cables, top quality and value can be found from our own obbm of this very forum.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neutrik-Speakon-to-1-4-Jack-Socket-Adaptor-NA4LJX-/181315612038?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Cables_Leads_Connectors&hash=item2a3740ad86"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a3740ad86[/url]

I have a couple of these 1/4" to speakon adaptors that I have in my head bag just in case I need them and they work great.

Edited by jazzyvee

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1391773988' post='2361101']
Why are jacks bad compared to speakon?
[/quote]

They don't connect securely like Speakons do. They aren't rated highly enough for use high power amps and with a considerable number of bass amps now rated at 500W or over you really don't want to be using a jack plug for the speaker connections. There is a possibility of shorting the amp output when connecting or within a badly wired plug itself, something which is nearly impossible to do with a Speakon.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1391707588' post='2360476']
Jack plugs for high-powered amps (anything over 100W) are IMO a really bad idea.
[/quote]
[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1391773988' post='2361101']
Why are jacks bad compared to speakon?
[/quote]

It depends... normal screened instrument jack cables are a bad idea because they're not suitable for use with the high current generated by a bass amp into a cab. Jacks are OK if they are fitted to proper speaker cables. I have a jack to speakon cable because my old valve amp doesn't have a speakon socket.