Why become a member? ×

So I wrote a little article on my blog....

jimcroisdale

[quote][color=#666666]But in large venues , if ever they come along again, it needs to move a lot of air, with good woofers that can resist the pressure to get an amazing bass sound. Then again, I’m talking about the bass sound that I prefer, don’t know about anybody else. I know I’ve spent a lot of money over the years due to my obsession with the right bass sound. [/color][/quote]

[quote][color=#666666]By the way, I don’t play bass. I play rhythm guitar (not that good either).[/color][/quote]

This sums it all up. She must have bought an Ampeg fridge for another bass player to play trough... Being a rythm guitar player buying the bass gear it's safe to assume that "her bass sound" is completely lacking everything from the 200Hz up. No need to do much research on SPL and Xmax ;)

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1391016654' post='2352322']
Hey all,

I just wrote a little article about a few popular misconceptions about bass cabs.

You can find it [b][url="http://www.theheatfunctionband.co.uk/bass-myths/"]HERE[/url][/b]

As you can see, I've come under a little bit of criticism - apparently, everybody apart from beginners knows this stuff?

In my experience, many many people certainly do not.

Comments welcome, both here and on the blog!

Jim
[/quote]

Great info and presented nicely (IMO). My only comment would be that you probably shouldn't belittle certain combinations flippantly (ie a 1x15" and 4x12" is a bad idea *no explanation) and then follow it with 'so buy a 2x12"... Like mine.' Whether you are or not, it makes you look biased and like you're not basing the decisions on fact/science despite the fact you probably have hundreds of reasons why you would make the decision. Without explaining your decision, it seems like you're rubbing your own ego and saying how great a decision you made so everyone else should follow without question.

Just to reiterate, I agree with what you've written :-)

I agree with skej21, a nicely written article which then comes to the conclusion that you have the right cab and others should buy the same as you.
For the record, I have a stacked 2x12 setup and think I prefer the tone, power & air-shifting from a modern 4x10 be it less efficient or not. And there's nothing beats the "feel" you get from a 8x10 when standing in front of it, whether it's efficient or not.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391113095' post='2353509']
My only comment would be that you probably shouldn't belittle certain combinations flippantly (ie a 1x15" and 4x12" is a bad idea *no explanation)

[/quote]

I assumed that that was a typo for 4x10, which James probably needs to go back and correct. I have a 4x12 (Tech Soundsystems). They're not that common and are very rarely seen in combination with a 1x15, unless the 1x15 is being used as a stand.

I think Chrissie has a point. The whole article is full of similar assertions, but there's no evidence offered to back any of it up, and no evidence that the writer has any authority or knowledge about the subject. It sounds to me like something Jeremy Clarkson might have written.

Contrast this with the articles written by the people on this site who really do understand acoustic engineering and speaker design. In general they don't feel the need to say things like "The reason why they don’t tell you is because a lot of drivers in even big-name cabinets are crap.", which serves only to diminish the authority of the writer.

I agree with the basic argument that modern 2x12s are good enough for most situations. I only moved on my Ebs 2x12 Neo to make space for the 4x12.

Good article. It's difficult to write something that appeals to both ends of the spectrum of understanding without seeming dumbed down or condescending. I have to explain this stuff to muso's on an almost daily basis. Some want to know, some want you to say what they want to hear, some don't want know and some simply can't understand no matter how it's explained. It's hard work and you've done a good job.