Why become a member? ×

New way to hang your guitar on the wall, with no stress on the neck

jaybass 70

Nice for display, maybe, but doesn't look quick-grab enough for me.

By the way, re. your title... Is there REALLY any 'stress' on the neck from a conventional hanger?

The string tension on a bass is doing its best to compress the entire instrument with a force of 140lbs, or more. Doesn't hanging from the headstock simply decrease that compression by the (far lesser) amount that the bass weighs?

Dunno, but I've always felt that 'stress' to be pretty insignificant :)

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1390771211' post='2349377']
Nice for display, maybe, but doesn't look quick-grab enough for me.

By the way, re. your title... Is there REALLY any 'stress' on the neck from a conventional hanger?

The string tension on a bass is doing its best to compress the entire instrument with a force of 140lbs, or more. Doesn't hanging from the headstock simply decrease that compression by the (far lesser) amount that the bass weighs?

Dunno, but I've always felt that 'stress' to be pretty insignificant :)
[/quote]

Dunno about the physics to be honest, wouldn't hanging a guitar cause a bit of stress at the neck/body joint due to the actual weight of the guitar ? (applies to bolt on necks, not neck through)

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1390813339' post='2349680']
Dunno about the physics to be honest, wouldn't hanging a guitar cause a bit of stress at the neck/body joint due to the actual weight of the guitar ? (applies to bolt on necks, not neck through)
[/quote]

Think you are worrying unnecessarily, after all, they hang on straps when we play em. :)