Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Musicman stingray vs warwick $$

Damonjames

Pretty straight forward really, would like to hear everyone's thoughts on which you would prefer. I currently have a MM SUB 5 which I love, but quite look the look of the corvette $$. Is the extra tonal variety worth it? Would you trade one for the other or is it justifiable to have both?

No, I've played a corvette though. I've watched several youtube reviews and they do sound great. They sound stingrayish, but seem to have a little more variety, of which I'm not entirely sure how much I would use!! They do look nice though...

To be honest if I could afford a streamer stage 2, I'd probably go that way, but the corvettes are mile cheaper, and the $$ seems to be the most popular variant of the vette

I have a Corvette $$... It's a very Warwick sounding instrument, not really like a Stingray to my ears.

They are both punchy and cutting but I'd say the $$ has a more natural growly and aggressive tone with the Stingray being more modern, scooped and smooth, still punchy but quite HiFi sounding... Its subjective of course, but to me the Warwick sounds like it's made of quality wood whilst the Stingray sounds like it has quality electronics....

I like both instruments very much but think they cover different tone basses entirly really.

Edited by CamdenRob

Warwick will always sound like warwick and musicman will always sound like musicman.

I like both but i pick musicman personally because i know the tone will fit in the band i'm in.

Is like comparing Warwick Corvette and Fender Jazz, because the 2 bass have jazz pickup, it doesn't mean it will sound the same.

+1

Absolutely different beasts. All Warwicks are boosted in the mids, bit warmer than a Stingray.
I personally prefer the Ray as it sits lower sound wise but it's still very focused and cuts through. Warwicks (please don't throw stones at me) always sounded to me like a cross between a bass and a baritone guitar, very audible but not supporting the mix in the lows as good as a Ray or a Fender P or a Jazz with both pups on.
But still it depends on the type of music you are playing, in some cases the Warwick might be more suitable than a Ray. Not for me though.