Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

sudden gig!!

Last night my guitarist sprung on me that he wants our first gig to be next friday! (well he did ask me if it was alright first :) ), it's only four songs though, and provided we get a couple of practice sessions in before then we should be alright, we've only really had about four sessions anyway with us all there. I'm really looking forward to it though, should be a good laugh!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='231945' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:10 PM']Last night my guitarist sprung on me that he wants our first gig to be next friday! (well he did ask me if it was alright first :) ), it's only four songs though, and provided we get a couple of practice sessions in before then we should be alright, we've only really had about four sessions anyway with us all there. I'm really looking forward to it though, should be a good laugh![/quote]

Haha awesome

Where abouts is it? what type of sruff are you playing?

4 songs? Brilliant
Just string them all together, leave no space for chatting between numbers, or plan it and rehearse it, sort your overall beginning out and your end and leave space for an encore (yes, play 3 songs and one encore :))
Sorted

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='231996' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:46 PM']Top call - 3 songs and an encore.[/quote]

Yeah, you really don't want to do all the work on your 4 songs, play them so well that everyone (ie your 20 mates you take with you) loves you and demands an encore and you have nothing prepared to play ....

There's a small risk that you won't get an encore so you need to stage manage that by clearing your plan with the promoter and by getting your 20 mates to yell wildly at the end of your "last" number to demand an encore ...

Crowds tend to react predictably, given the right cues and clues ... so play the game and remember to say "This is our 'last number' wink wink" before the pretend last number so they know to call for an encore when you say "Thangewverymuch, Wembly! We've been Wyld Stallions!!!" and pretend to leave the stage ...

That will work and you'll appear and feel like stars.. :)

Haha all good ideas! might give that a go :) We've got a pretty cool pre-recorded intro sorted too, should be a good gig i hope.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='231948' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:11 PM']Haha awesome

Where abouts is it? what type of sruff are you playing?[/quote]
At the rolls royce social club thing in hucknall, and we'll be playing thrash metal/hardcore sort of stuff, we're covering bullet for my valentine's scream aim fire, lord of hate by death angel and we've got two slightly more thrashy originals called sacrifice and from the ashes.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='232056' date='Jul 3 2008, 03:06 PM']Haha all good ideas! might give that a go :) We've got a pretty cool pre-recorded intro sorted too, should be a good gig i hope.

At the rolls royce social club thing in hucknall, and we'll be playing thrash metal/hardcore sort of stuff, we're covering bullet for my valentine's scream aim fire, lord of hate by death angel and we've got two slightly more thrashy originals called sacrifice and from the ashes.[/quote]

Hucknall! I live there, near the football club. Unforunately I'm with the missus friday night or I would have popped down.

If you're into hardcore punk, my mate is putting on an all dayer Sunday which my band are playing (www.myspace.com/hcalmosthome) in nottingham at Bunker's Hill (In nottingham right near the ice stadium near where academy of sound was opposite the subway)

Don't mean to steal your thread...ooops!

Ferg
x

[quote name='budget bassist' post='232056' date='Jul 3 2008, 03:06 PM']Haha all good ideas! might give that a go :huh: We've got a pretty cool pre-recorded intro sorted too, should be a good gig i hope.

At the rolls royce social club thing in hucknall, and we'll be playing thrash metal/hardcore sort of stuff, we're covering bullet for my valentine's scream aim fire, lord of hate by death angel and we've got two slightly more thrashy originals called sacrifice and from the ashes.[/quote]

Oh in that case I'd encore with Lady in Red

:)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='232056' date='Jul 3 2008, 03:06 PM']We've got a pretty cool pre-recorded intro sorted too

we'll be playing thrash metal/hardcore sort of stuff, we're covering bullet for my valentine's scream aim fire, lord of hate by death angel and we've got two slightly more thrashy originals called sacrifice and from the ashes.[/quote]

Prokofiev - Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet. That would be perfect. Clip it in the pause at around 40 secs or at the stop at 1min 57sec , in with the first big chord. Sorted.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ[/url]

[quote name='ferguswads' post='232085' date='Jul 3 2008, 03:59 PM']Hucknall! I live there, near the football club. Unforunately I'm with the missus friday night or I would have popped down.

If you're into hardcore punk, my mate is putting on an all dayer Sunday which my band are playing (www.myspace.com/hcalmosthome) in nottingham at Bunker's Hill (In nottingham right near the ice stadium near where academy of sound was opposite the subway)

Don't mean to steal your thread...ooops!

Ferg
x[/quote]
Haha awesome, small world! You should come down for an hour or so just to check us out :) We'll be on first i think

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='232092' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:04 PM']Prokofiev - Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet. That would be perfect. Clip it in the pause at around 40 secs or at the stop at 1min 57sec , in with the first big chord. Sorted.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ[/url][/quote]

That's in my "bass teasers" list .. shame it's now associated with Alan Sugar and The Apprentice ....
If you start with that be prepared for a chorus of "you're fired" .....

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='232186' date='Jul 3 2008, 06:01 PM']You're joking.

I must be the only person on the planet that's never seen that show.[/quote]
one of two actually! :)

Also [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMq4akUZr8c"]clubbed to death by rob dougan[/url] would be a pretty damn cool intro.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232182' date='Jul 3 2008, 05:41 PM']That's in my "bass teasers" list .. shame it's now associated with Alan Sugar and The Apprentice ....
If you start with that be prepared for a chorus of "you're fired" .....[/quote]

Not in my book. It's just associated with Muse at Wembley. Ahhhhhh

Anyway, back on topic. Go out there, have fun, play well, rock hard and don't stand around. Make sure to move around, although don't go too far, a friend has a wireless lead, and so whenever he's gigging he walks in circles around the stage. Cool, but random, and it looks a little silly.

Also, the suggestion about the 3 songs with an encore is good.

Intro wise - [post="0"]this [/post] or [post="0"]this[/post]

Aye, i'm gonna try and move about a bit, my first gig i pretty much stood still because i was bricking it, but that's probably because it was infront of some 300 people....

Also i think we're using an intro our rhythm guitarist wrote, it's pretty damn good.

Also if anyone's interested, [url="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=259395046&MyToken=4285791a-3dd0-4eac-b38f-4004c7ec95d6"]here's[/url] our myspace

Edited by budget bassist

Yeah i know what you mean, i might ask my guitarist to send me the file so i can spend some time mixing it, we did it at his house and mixed it there, but i've since started a course on sound engineering a few months ago and i'm probably better at mixing than he is, plus i could add some fancy stuff in there :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='232009' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:57 PM']"Thangewverymuch, Wembly! We've been Wyld Stallions!!!" and pretend to leave the stage ...

That will work and you'll appear and feel like stars.. :)[/quote]

Brilliant!!!!!

Serisouly though, good luck. I'll see if I can get down, however I'm pretty sure I'm with child that weekend - mind you, she's 4 so will probably be up for it!!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='231945' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:10 PM']Last night my guitarist sprung on me that he wants our first gig to be next friday! (well he did ask me if it was alright first :huh: ), it's only four songs though, and provided we get a couple of practice sessions in before then we should be alright, we've only really had about four sessions anyway with us all there. I'm really looking forward to it though, should be a good laugh![/quote]
Good luck man.

I'm not a big fan of the planned/fake encore tho. We used to do it and it seemed a bit awkward and not "keeping it real". Nowadays we just do the planned set and if like usual we get an encore we've always got something in our back pocket. No one's expecting a new band (first gig and all) to have a "back catalogue". Do your 4 songs, melt a few faces and leave 'em wanting more for next time. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='232793' date='Jul 4 2008, 04:23 PM']Good luck man.

I'm not a big fan of the planned/fake encore tho. We used to do it and it seemed a bit awkward and not "keeping it real". Nowadays we just do the planned set and if like usual we get an encore we've always got something in our back pocket. No one's expecting a new band (first gig and all) to have a "back catalogue". Do your 4 songs, melt a few faces and leave 'em wanting more for next time. :huh:[/quote]

Keep it real? Why?

"Real" for an inexperienced band is shuffle on fumble about a bit, play to themselves or their feet, mumble a bit then leave. No one will know who you are or think you are any good .. It may be real but it's hardly likely to accelerate your progress rapidly - these things will

People think bands are great because they see other people around them reacting favourably. All I'm suggesting is helping that happen rather than just leaving it luck...

You can afford to keep it real once you are experienced and know how to take the stage like you own it, work the room and have loads of good stuff to play. How long did that take?

But for now BB should "fake it til you make it" - ie do the stuff experienced bands do and and pretend your are really successful, half teh room will believe you are and everyone will enjoy it a lot more, especially you.

Outshined, How does anyone know that you don't orchestrate your encore and that it's real? What's the difference? :)

Edited by OldGit