Why become a member? ×

sudden gig!!

lol i've done a few gigs before (3 or 4 probably) and my rhythm guitarist/singer has been on the metal band scene around here for years and he's done loads of gigs so he knows what he's doing up there. It's only really a tester gig, but as long as people like the music i don't really care.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='232853' date='Jul 4 2008, 06:11 PM']lol i've done a few gigs before (3 or 4 probably) and my rhythm guitarist/singer has been on the metal band scene around here for years and he's done loads of gigs so he knows what he's doing up there. It's only really a tester gig, but as long as people like the music i don't really care.[/quote]

Oh you'll be fine ...
Yeah one of your band mates looks like he's been around a few years longer than the other three :) bit like the Fonze Vs Richie and Ralph ....

"So, Mr Fonzerelli, as a man well in to his 30's, why exactly are you hanging around with 14 and 15 year old school boys? : )

haha, yeah that would be nobbzey, the guy that looks like matt tuck :) i think he's 20, me and the lead guitarist are 17 and the drummer (dude with the long blonde hair) i think is 18 or something, i think he's done a few gigs before too, i think the only one that hasn't is mat, our lead guitarist.

Sorry OG I didn't want to knock any previous advice here. All I'm saying is that we tried it and it didn't work for us in the end.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']Keep it real? Why?[/quote]Because for me that's what works best.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']"Real" for an inexperienced band is shuffle on fumble about a bit, play to themselves or their feet, mumble a bit then leave. No one will know who you are or think you are any good .. It may be real but it's hardly likely to accelerate your progress rapidly...[/quote]I see this a lot... and yes it can be tedious watching this kind of act but I don't think any less of them if the music's good. I'm happy they went up and gave it a bash. The true performers will emerge eventually.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']People think bands are great because they see other people around them reacting favourably. All I'm suggesting is helping that happen rather than just leaving it luck...[/quote]And it's always welcome advice sir. I'm just offering the other side of the coin on this particular instance.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']You can afford to keep it real once you are experienced and know how to take the stage like you own it, work the room and have loads of good stuff to play. How long did that take?[/quote] Point taken. I guess that's why (with hindsight) I'd advocate the "keep it real" approach in the first place.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']But for now BB should "fake it til you make it" - ie do the stuff experienced bands do and and pretend your are really successful, half teh room will believe you are and everyone will enjoy it a lot more, especially you.[/quote]Hmmm. I'm still not sold on the idea. :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='232851' date='Jul 4 2008, 05:54 PM']Outshined, How does anyone know that you don't orchestrate your encore and that it's real? What's the difference? :huh:[/quote]But it's about our own personal integrity I suppose. We felt uncomfortable falsely brewing up enthusiasm when it may well have already of been there. We felt much better doing an encore that's been genuinely asked for than one contrived in advance. Horses for courses though and I accept that.

On a more practical level - if we'd put in a performance and didn't get asked for an encore at the end, we'd have to ask ourselves why (it was probably blindingly obvious why) then improve or adapt the performance so that it was more enjoyable for the punters and thus more rewarding for us.

Might be worth starting and finishing with the coves that people in the audience might know & keep the originals in the middle of the set - good old "warm 'em up, back off a little & leave 'em wanting more" theory :)

Oh, & don't tell them the ones you've written yourselves are originals, make them think they've missed a trick or two & keep 'em guessing :brow:

[i]But it's about our own personal integrity I suppose. We felt uncomfortable falsely brewing up enthusiasm when it may well have already of been there. We felt much better doing an encore that's been genuinely asked for than one contrived in advance. Horses for courses though and I accept that.

On a more practical level - if we'd put in a performance and didn't get asked for an encore at the end, we'd have to ask ourselves why (it was probably blindingly obvious why) then improve or adapt the performance so that it was more enjoyable for the punters and thus more rewarding for us.[/i]

Hey Sorry Outshined I did rather jump up on that.

Just trying to suggest fast path ways past the fumbling amateur part to the nice part when everyone cheers, joins your mailing list and books you back for more :) They can work on their integrity then :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='232968' date='Jul 5 2008, 12:00 AM']Hey Sorry Outshined I did rather jump up on that.

Just trying to suggest fast path ways past the fumbling amateur part to the nice part when everyone cheers, joins your mailing list and books you back for more :) They can work on their integrity then :huh:[/quote]
No wucking furries bud.

[quote name='OldGit' post='232009' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:57 PM']There's a small risk that you won't get an encore so you need to stage manage that by clearing your plan with the promoter and by getting your 20 mates to yell wildly at the end of your "last" number to demand an encore ...[/quote]
One band I played in was fronted by someone so egotistical he couldn't imagine not getting called back for an encore, so we always did one, whether we got called back for one or not. I personally thought it was rather stupid to pretend that you'd heard the screams of "encore" from an almost silent audience...

:)

[quote name='OldGit' post='232860' date='Jul 4 2008, 06:28 PM']Oh you'll be fine ...
Yeah one of your band mates looks like he's been around a few years longer than the other three :) bit like the Fonze Vs Richie and Ralph ....[/quote]

haha, me and the singer in my band are 49 and our guitarist is 22. We got a review that read '...look like a couple of members of the Stooges have kidnapped Harry Potter...'

[quote name='johnnylager' post='234036' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:43 AM']Or 'f*** off / you're sh*t' etc! or is that just me? :) :huh:[/quote]

I depped with a band once who's singer refused to play any more after their last number - no encores - and the horn section was on it's way out of the door within 4 minutes of the last note - they were stopped by the bouncers whilst teh singer was told, in no uncertain terms, that 20 more minutes were required ..

(Stop press! "Dodgy looking musicians stopped from LEAVING a club by door staff" )

[quote name='bremen' post='234039' date='Jul 7 2008, 11:45 AM']haha, me and the singer in my band are 49 and our guitarist is 22. We got a review that read '...look like a couple of members of the Stooges have kidnapped Harry Potter...'[/quote]

Ha ha yeah we've just hired our dep chordal kid as an extra member .. He's 20+ years yonger than the rest of us.

We call him the token yoof or Emo ..

I think it helps keep the whole band fresh cos you can vampire the engergy from them and then get a new one once they are exhasted ... :)