Why become a member? ×

Bergantino CN vs HD 112?

Fab58

I'm looking to (almost) totally redo my rig, cab-wise.

Most of my gigs I do with a MarkBass SA450 through an Eden D210XLT. On the odd occasion I need a bit more for outdoor shows or larger stages, I add a custom made (o.k., a cobbled together ugly but functional home-made p.o.s.) 1x15 with a black widow 15" in it.

I'm quite happy with the MarkBass, but I'm contemplating getting a Bergantino NV115, and either a CN or HD 112. I'd stack the 15 and the 12 cabinets for larger stages, and use just one for smaller gigs. I'm open to other suggestions and, for one, budget isn't a *huge*concern (within reason).

I'd like to find out the differences sound-wise between the CN and the HD, as none of my local shops has much beyond the standard Ampeg/Aguilar/Bugera/etc. to try out. The place I'll probably be getting the Bergs from does have a return policy, but I'd rather try to get it right first time.

BTW I'm happy with the Eden; it's being promoted to house cab/spare status...

I wouldn't combine the NV115 with a CN or HD cab. Totally different flavours! The NV is sealed. Tight low end, lots of sub bass roll off. More like the tone of the classic 8x10 sealed cabs, but smaller.

The CN cabs are again punchy, but will have a bigger sounding low end, and a bump in the mids that really allows the bass to be heard.

The HD cabs are more classically voiced. Eg, probably the fullest lows, smoother mids.

If you are going down the Berg route I'd recommend the CN212 or 2 x CN112s.

I do a bunch of different gigs, in a bunch of styles, ranging from small just-above-acoustic volume, through fairly standard bar room blue, up to medium size full-production gigs. My idea is single 12 for the small gigs, single 15 for the bar-size gigs, and combine the two for larger gigs.

You can mix up cabs if you want to, but why? I think modern 112 cabs sound better than most 15's so a 2 112 rig is my ideal modular set up.

If you want a quality, flexible, fantastic sounding modular rig, a much better idea would be 1 112 cab for the quiet stuff and 2 112 cabs for the louder gigs.

I have been doing this for over 5 years with Bergantino AE112 cabs and now a CN212. These cabs, with my 500 watt amp, easily cover all playing situations and would work well with your amp.

I'd also suggest you look at Aguilar and Barefaced 112 cabs.

Edited by chris_b

Never seen much point in 15's myself and in this instance I can't see a 15 adding anything at all that another 112 underneath would not do.
With decent 2x112's you'll not be wanting more bass.... IMV.
2 cabs or the same model should stack cleaner as well... but not sure of the dims of the 15 you have in mind...