Why become a member? ×

What do you make of Youtube covers and the sort ?

ML94

Hey guys

I thought this would be a great discussion as I just started it with a mate and it still hasn't ended. It began with me saying 'I might just put some covers, original work on the tube and see what kind of responses I get. And my mate immediately responded with the 'get rich quick' scheme that everyone thinks when you upload this sort of material.

I honestly wanted to put them on so I could get some feedback and i can't count how many times i couldn't play that 'lick' and Youtubed it and someone helped me out from there. But my mate wasn't having it saying it was a waste of time and if you want to promote yourself go and do it in person.

Recently I contacted local studios I am a bass player and looking for some work. They have all responded with 'do you have any recordings/videos. , .Any youtube work'. I guess it's easier for people to just surf the tube and listen to you rather than having to travel down there etc etc.

What do you guys think ?

Get rich quick? YouTube? Ha! The only people getting rich of YouTube are the ones with millions of subscribers/views. Bass channels don't get anywhere near enough subscribers or views to make you "rich". You might earn a bit from it, but I can't really see bassist plodding along to a song earning enough to even live off.

You are absolutely right - the benefits of uploading covers and the like to YouTube can sometimes mean more than money earned from ad revenue. It gives you exposure, allows others to give you advice/critique, allows you to say to potential bands/musicians/producers "This is what I can do" without ever having to leave your house. Your mate seems to think that they only reason anyone would upload to YouTube was to make money, which is silly, because there is literally days worth of footage uploaded to YouTube every day, and most of it won't get many views at all.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390210997' post='2342531']
Get rich quick? YouTube? Ha! The only people getting rich of YouTube are the ones with millions of subscribers/views. Bass channels don't get anywhere near enough subscribers or views to make you "rich". You might earn a bit from it, but I can't really see bassist plodding along to a song earning enough to even live off.

You are absolutely right - the benefits of uploading covers and the like to YouTube can sometimes mean more than money earned from ad revenue. It gives you exposure, allows others to give you advice/critique, allows you to say to potential bands/musicians/producers "This is what I can do" without ever having to leave your house. Your mate seems to think that they only reason anyone would upload to YouTube was to make money, which is silly, because there is literally days worth of footage uploaded to YouTube every day, and most of it won't get many views at all.
[/quote]

I don't think you can make money from Youtube by playing bass covers because you don't own the songs? Quite possibly wrong but I thought because of the copyright thing that you couldn't make money from something that wasn't yours?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1390340827' post='2344347']
I don't think you can make money from Youtube by playing bass covers because you don't own the songs? Quite possibly wrong but I thought because of the copyright thing that you couldn't make money from something that wasn't yours?
[/quote]

It depends. If you've used the original recording as a backing track, then no. If you have created your own backing track or play without a track at all, then yes, you can make money from that.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390378046' post='2344570']
It depends. If you've used the original recording as a backing track, then no. If you have created your own backing track or play without a track at all, then yes, you can make money from that.
[/quote]

Making your own backing tracks .... too much effort :lol:

Edited by ML94

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1390378879' post='2344577']
Making your own backing tracks .... too much effort :lol:
[/quote]

Far too much effort... that's why I don't do it :lol:

It should be said, though, that even if you use an artist's recording as your backing track, there's nothing to say that YouTube will allow you to use it. A lot of the time, they do, but the put ads on your video, but other times, the artist might tell YouTube to take down any video using their music illegally.

I guess a few videos demonstrating different styles wouldn't hurt if your looking for a self promo video with a view to winning work...

I recorded a few solo looper pieces and stuck them up on youtube a while back. They are pretty much useless for anyone wanting to know how I would sound in a band context, but they do at least show I'm not completely clueless. I've got a few gigs off the back of them as well, including my current band.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about doing anything creative if your using youtube as a shopwindow, 99% of people looking for bass players don't want you to have any writing input whatsoever... I guess a video of you playing exactly what your told would be the biggest selling point!

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1390482822' post='2345869']
:D

And a with a bit demonstrating one's personal hygiene regime and general affableness :)
[/quote]

Your right about the personal hygiene bit.... shared some very small rehearsal spaces with a number of 'fragrant' drummers recently... :blink:

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390210997' post='2342531']

[/quote]

I expect Marlowe DK does alright out of it as do the players with pretty faces and low-cut tops.

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1390554907' post='2346654']
I expect Marlowe DK does alright out of it as do the players with pretty faces and low-cut tops.
[/quote]

Only if they aren't using copyrighted material (songs). But yes, you are right. Most of the pretty faces playing covers (usually fairly poorly, IMO) usually get far more views than somebody like Marlowe DK. That shows how far style over substance can get you.

There are plenty of people who make a living from YouTube, most of them aren't musicians though. Most of them are gaming channels and "news" (gossip) channels.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1390559706' post='2346751']
This must be where I'm going wrong.. I'll have a route through MrsC's wardrobe for something more revealing for my next video.
[/quote]

This obviously works.

(750,000 views)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2pSLFjOas&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4csMoGyO-TmOEc-RYwUaO8h0JnU8XWkj

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390581571' post='2347242']
This obviously works.

(750,000 views)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2pSLFjOas&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4csMoGyO-TmOEc-RYwUaO8h0JnU8XWkj[/media]
[/quote]

Dressing up like that will definitely get you offers of relatively well-paid work, Milty, just not necessarily as a bass player.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390581571' post='2347242']
This obviously works.

(750,000 views)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2pSLFjOas&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL4csMoGyO-TmOEc-RYwUaO8h0JnU8XWkj[/media]
[/quote]

What on earth did I just watch ... :blink:
I have to say playing was nice but I should've closed my eyes and listened.