Why become a member? ×

Damaged speaker output on Fender Super champ X2 head

randythoades

Hi guys, just thought i would ask for advice. I have a fender super champ X2 head that i bought second hand about 18 months ago. Recently i have started having problems with the speaker output jack either cutting out out not making connection. I have been getting round it by trying to wiggle the cable into the right place but now it is pretty much shot.
I am pretty good at soldering etc when it comes to my guitars and basses and happy to replace or completely rewire my instruments but never tackled an amp. Is it along the same lines or can i do some real damage? Is replacing the jack something i can attempt or is it a service centre job?

Edited by randythoades

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1390145671' post='2341886']
If you wanted to bring it over to Farnham I'd happily have a look for you.
[/quote]
I may have to take you up on that! Thanks so much. I am only in Woking so only about 20 mins away. I thought i would open it up and have a look, it may be quite obvious. I am not very keen on doing anything if it is PCB mounted as i don't know what i am doing, but i do like to learn new skills...

Thanks for the advice chaps, had a morning off so opened it up to have a look. It is indeed PCB mounted jack and i could see nothing immediately wrong but when i put the jack in, the connectors onto the jack didn't move as much as on the line put jack for example. I squished them in a bit and squirted everything with switch cleaner. Now seems to make a much better connection, jack has a bit more resistance when pushing in and the connectors move more now. All works again, feels more solid and i can't get it to lose connection when i wiggle it (the jack i mean...). Excellent!

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1390508833' post='2346284']
Good result! Nice fix. Well done you.
[/quote]
Cheers.
Another title for my business card.
Multi Instrumentalist Extraordinaire? Check.
Expert Luthier? Check.
Amplifier Repairer? Check.
Modest and honest to a fault? Check.
:lol: :lol: :D