Why become a member? ×

Any EBS HD350 users?

JPJ

I have serious gas for a new 'smaller' amp for smaller gigs.

My main rig is an SWR SM1500 into either a Goliath Snr or 2 Goliath 4x10's. This is a killer rig but its actually overkill in some small pubs and I'm thinking of building up a second rig for smaller gigs thats a little more user friendly and easier on my ageing back.

My main issue is that in both the bands with whom I regularly work, the guitarist uses a 100w Marshall valve amp and matching 4x12. That is a lot of guitar to live with and add in Animal on the drums and you will see why I use the SM1500. Also, we don't tend to put the back line through the PA as its more of a vocals only PA rig.

I have tried smaller form factor class D amps (including the Bass Terror) which don't cut it for me as I, like many others, find there is some 'authority' missing in the fundamental class D 'tone' that no amount of EQ'ing can compensate for. I'm tempted (sorely tempted) by the EBS HD350 that's for sale on this very forum but do any HD350 users use theirs in a similar situation?

I have heard it said that the HD350 is actually "louder' (theres that subjective term again) than the 350w rating suggests but is this just a myth or is it fact? I'm thinking that if I do go for the HD350, I'd probably build a nice 2x12 to go with it - any thoughts? Any advice/guidance will be gratefully accepted B)

I used a HD-350 for the best part of a decade in a number of different bands, everything from covers to folk to rock and it easily coped with everything I threw at it. Having got rid of it in a moment of madness, I then spent a couple of years with various class D heads (450w TC Electronic head, a 500w Orange Bass Terror and a GB Streamliner 900) until I came to my senses and brought another one ;)

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1389886832' post='2339137']
.....I, like many others, find there is some 'authority' missing in the fundamental class D 'tone' that no amount of EQ'ing can compensate for.....
[/quote]

In terms of volume comparisons, the 350w rating is VERY conservative. When A/Bing it against the GB Streamliner 900 I still have, it's difficult to compare because both get VERY loud, VERY early on when turning the volume control. However, the HD-350 never seems to run out of gas and there's always a feeling of power and authority to each note. If I'd not known any better, I'd have said both amps are quite closely spec'd, especially when used with a really good, loud, high sensitivity cab like the EBS Prolines/Neolines or the Bergantino CN-212 I've got at the moment.

[size=4]Of course, it's all personal opinion (PUTTING ON FLAME PROOF PANTS) but I'd say that too now, having gone down the class D route and come back to the HD-350. I do love my GB Streamliner but I love the EBS head more. [/size]

Edited by tonyf

Thanks for the input guys, hmmm do I or don't I? :unsure:

[quote name='ebenezer' timestamp='1389890086' post='2339179']
hey kev.....have you got money burning a hole in your pockets?
[/quote]

Haha Mark, not quite but I do have an ache in my back :P

I used a HD350 for 7 years then upgraded to a TD650 a couple of years ago. I played the HD350 through a Proline 410 most of the time as it was plenty loud. I did use it through 2 cabs for a couple of years. Never failed or wimped out. Still ran like a freight train. I bought a Mark Bass LMIII and a 210 for a portable practice rig, but I was never 100% happy with it. The LMIII ran out of steam sooner than the HD350. I perservered with the LMIII until EBS launched the Reidmar. Even though it's 250w it can power my Neoline cabs effortlessly. Far more portable than a HD350 and you still get that EBS tone.

Only drawbacks are that you can't run it down to 2ohms like other EBS amps and you don't have the 'Drive' control which gives you that warm, balls to the wall tube tone.

Even though I am perfectly happy with my TD650, I really loved my HD350. Before I bought the LMIII I did use it for backline, rehearsals, home practice and recording. A very versatile bass amp. You won't be disappointed.

It might not be for sale for much longer. It has just occurred to me that I can use the 2ohm output to play through the Super Twin and '69er AT THE SAME TIME! A six-foot rig of destruction, just because I can (insert that deranged smilie here, although I can't cos I'm on an ipad)
If I play it at the Midlands bass bash, you should be able to hear it from where you are in Newcastle upon Tyne ;-D

Edited by Roland Rock

Supertwin and a '69er, at the same time? That's not a bass rig, that's a demolition engine :blink:

Seriously though you don't like the HD350, you said so yourself, and if my millionaire client would just pay his bill instead of faffing about :angry: , I'd help you out by taking it off your hands B)