Why become a member? ×

Another Marathon... £595!

discreet

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHERGOLD-MARATHON-STEREO-BASS-GUITAR-1980-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-/251426286797?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHERGOLD-MARATHON-STEREO-BASS-GUITAR-1980-MADE-IN-ENGLAND-/251426286797?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:3160[/url]

Should be interesting. :)

[quote name='hoiho' timestamp='1389888389' post='2339156']
And it's sold!
A bit of an oddity, as it only has one string guide, and it's mounted further down the head than usual.
[/quote]

Yes and a brass nut too, but it has the 'ashtray' :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389898384' post='2339347']
'The listing was ended...' does that mean it sold, or just that... the listing was ended for some reason? :huh:
[/quote]
Perhaps they looked on some posts on BC and thought it was only worth a couple of hundred quid after all. :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389898542' post='2339349']
Perhaps they looked on some posts on BC and thought it was only worth a couple of hundred quid after all. :lol:
[/quote]

You're enjoying this, aren't you? :D
I searched for 'shergold marathon' under Advanced Search, ticking 'completed listings'
...and it's not there, so I'm guessing it was pulled.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389900571' post='2339391']
Yes, I must admit that i am but i've had my fun now. :lol:
[/quote]

No, you're fair enough mate, I'll admit that my estimate of their value in the other thread was somewhat lower than reality. I think there's a lot of them out there in very poor repair which explains the cheaper ones I'd seen (if my experience is anything to go by they're not as robust as the average Fender of the same era), and I imagine many of those - perhaps including the defretted one currently listed - are simply uneconomical to repair, hence the premium price for the good/mint ones. I have to say I really liked my Marathon, it was incredibly light and the neck was wonderful to pay, but it simply didn't have the tone I needed. I wish I'd tried it with flats though, I suspect that might have changed my mind at the time.
C

C

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389901129' post='2339409']
No, you're fair enough mate, I'll admit that my estimate of their value in the other thread was somewhat lower than reality. I think there's a lot of them out there in very poor repair which explains the cheaper ones I'd seen (if my experience is anything to go by they're not as robust as the average Fender of the same era), and I imagine many of those - perhaps including the defretted one currently listed - are simply uneconomical to repair, hence the premium price for the good/mint ones. I have to say I really liked my Marathon, it was incredibly light and the neck was wonderful to pay, but it simply didn't have the tone I needed. I wish I'd tried it with flats though, I suspect that might have changed my mind at the time.
C

C
[/quote]
No worries Beedster. I still don't really understand why they are so expensive though. Some of the prices are crazy and it seems as if they have jumped up in price within weeks let alone months. I agree what you say about your Marathon and i love mine but wouldn't pay what they seem to be going for right now. The same goes with my 1970s Fender Jazz. I love it but glad i bought it nearly 20 years ago because i wouldn't pay what they go for now.
What we need to do now is find out the next 'must have'. I'm thinking of buying up all the pointy 1980s basses i can as cheap as possible and hope they are next years 'must have' and therefore increase in price ten times. If they don't then i'll have enough wood for the stove next winter! :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389902171' post='2339425']
No worries Beedster. I still don't really understand why they are so expensive though. Some of the prices are crazy and it seems as if they have jumped up in price within weeks let alone months. I agree what you say about your Marathon and i love mine but wouldn't pay what they seem to be going for right now. The same goes with my 1970s Fender Jazz. I love it but glad i bought it nearly 20 years ago because i wouldn't pay what they go for now.
What we need to do now is find out the next 'must have'. I'm thinking of buying up all the pointy 1980s basses i can as cheap as possible and hope they are next years 'must have' and therefore increase in price ten times. If they don't then i'll have enough wood for the stove next winter! :D
[/quote]

Ibanez Musicians. I reckon this time next year they'll be going for around £1200. You can pick them up for £600-700 now. If I was in the buy and sell for profit game (as opposed to the buy and sell for substantial losses game that I appear to have played for several years), I'd be buying one now.

Looks like it's been relisted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHERGOLD-MARATHON-STEREO-BASS-GUITAR-1980-MADE-IN-ENGLAND/301073538831?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D286%26meid%3D4225116107163340427%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1048%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D121257151823%26