Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon - more questions..

project_c

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389475055' post='2334649']
That white fretless looks way too far gone for me to tamper with, but it will make a nice restoration project for someone.
[/quote]

Appearances can be deceptive, sounds like the bass you're looking at might also need a refret plus other work, so you might find that even though the white one appears in worse repair, it might - depending on how much it sells for - be a better option (emphasis on 'might'). I reckon that if you emailed the seller, you're near enough to go and take a look, and you took £200 odd in cash when you go, you might walk away with it (especially after you point out to him what ebay and Paypal would take in fees if he waits for the auction to finish). Good luck either way, it's good to go after a bass that you have your heart set on, just worth being a little cautious about how much it's going to cost to get it to where you'd like it to be.

[quote name='namefail' timestamp='1389479595' post='2334724']
project_c just say the word and I'll think of it no more. And I don't have the cash having bought an ashdown EB combo and a bass since last pay day.
[/quote]

No, you go for it - it looks great but not one I'll be going for, it's just a bit too far gone with mods etc from what I'm willing to take on as a project I'm afraid!

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389480530' post='2334734']
No, you go for it - it looks great but not one I'll be going for, it's just a bit too far gone with mods etc from what I'm willing to take on as a project I'm afraid!
[/quote]
Good thinking. Just pick a mint one up for £170. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389481424' post='2334743']
Good thinking. Just pick a mint one up for £170. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

You're getting a little obsessive BetaFunk? Like all other basses, prices vary on ebay for a number of reasons, sometimes they go for what appears to be an unreasonably high price, sometimes the opposite, it's how it is. I posted on this thread to let the OP know that, if he bides his time, he can probably get one cheaper than £400, and probably in better condition than the one he's looking at. To back it up I showed one that went for £275 in November, and mentioned that I saw one a while before then that went for £170. If I could be bothered I could probably Google that one and find it as well. I didn't say the £170 was mint, just that it went for £170. Facts are your friend here BetaFunk, not opinion.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389482605' post='2334755']
You're getting a little obsessive BetaFunk? Like all other basses, prices vary on ebay for a number of reasons, sometimes they go for what appears to be an unreasonably high price, sometimes the opposite, it's how it is. I posted on this thread to let the OP know that, if he bides his time, he can probably get one cheaper than £400, and probably in better condition than the one he's looking at. To back it up I showed one that went for £275 in November, and mentioned that I saw one a while before then that went for £170. If I could be bothered I could probably Google that one and find it as well. I didn't say the £170 was mint, just that it went for £170. Facts are your friend here BetaFunk, not opinion.
[/quote]
Who's getting obsessive now?

Happy hunting with those bargain buys. :D

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389481424' post='2334743']
[/quote]

Well, as Beedster said one did go for £275 less than a couple of months ago, it's certainly not "mint for £170", but it's also a whole lot less than £400! I'm pretty sure there's no 'definite' value on these things, they are nowhere near as in demand or clearly defined in value as old Fenders for example, so it seems like there is a bit of room for haggling there.

I just had a look at recently sold Marathons on eBay, and one went for £485, another seemingly identical one went for £275, and another went for £403, but that's with a Linear 100 amp (whatever that may be..)! So that's quite a lot of variation in price even between those 3 basses.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389482972' post='2334762']
Well, as Beedster said one did go for £275 less than a couple of months ago, it's certainly not "mint for £170", but it's also a whole lot less than £400! I'm pretty sure there's no 'definite' value on these things, they are nowhere near as in demand or clearly defined in value as old Fenders for example, so it seems like there is a bit of room for haggling there.

I just had a look at recently sold Marathons on eBay, and one went for £485, another seemingly identical one went for £275, and another went for £403, but that's with a Linear 100 amp (whatever that may be..)! So that's quite a lot of variation in price even between those 3 basses.
[/quote]
If you think that they were identical then i understand why you needed advice in the first place. I wish you luck if you do decide to buy one.

[/quote]

Ebay can be a god place to buy (normally cheaper than shops for used gear), but my first stop would always be BC. Have you tried posting a wanted ad here? There's several thousand members and you might find a few who have a Marathon they're willing to part with?

[/quote]

Checked out some links on BC to previous eBay sales and think you should be looking to pay around £300 for one in playable condition, although a lot more for one in mint or collectable condition. These listings fall into the former category around the £300 mark, and should put into context the bass you're looking to buy, i.e., it's certainly overpriced given the issues you've described [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Shergold-London-Marathon-Bass-guitar-80s-early-natural-Peter-Hook-nice-/161007541691?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item257ccc1dbb&nma=true&si=N3LcykCV3j9LEZf%252B4MSqHeBfZ8M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url], [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Marathon-Bass-Guitar-1970s-UK-Made-Hayman-Burns-Lineage-/141112655143?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20daf83d27&nma=true&si=N3LcykCV3j9LEZf%252B4MSqHeBfZ8M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url], [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Marathon-Bass-Guitar-/121181004775?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c36f363e7&nma=true&si=N3LcykCV3j9LEZf%252B4MSqHeBfZ8M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url] (one of them already mentioned above).

Good luck

C

To complicate matters further, I stumbled upon this today, Shergold Marathon (or is it a Modulator? I'm sure it said 'Marathon' on the body), hard to see from the pics but it's the one with 2 humbuckers and 3 x 3 way switches, in really good condition - although the cracks on the neck pocket were also on this one on both sides. The cost was £670-ish, well over my budget, (and I suspect somewhat overpriced too), it felt and sounded super good though! Very different vibe to the single humbucker version.

[attachment=152362:photo.JPG]

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389723875' post='2337259']
To complicate matters further, I stumbled upon this today, Shergold Marathon (or is it a Modulator? I'm sure it said 'Marathon' on the body), hard to see from the pics but it's the one with 2 humbuckers and 3 x 3 way switches, in really good condition - although the cracks on the neck pocket were also on this one on both sides. The cost was £670-ish, well over my budget, (and I suspect somewhat overpriced too), it felt and sounded super good though! Very different vibe to the single humbucker version.

[attachment=152362:photo.JPG]
[/quote]

I suspect that's a later one - looks like a Modulator to me - as it has no position dots on the fretboard. Either that or it's a custom fretted factory fretless - if you follow my drift!

The current defretted one on eBay has been heavily modded, I contacted the seller out of interest, it will probably get some decent bids as he said he'd had lots of interest and offers. Points to consider - the logo is missing and possibly the serial plate ( he didn't answer my question about the serial plate so I'd assume its lost ). The scratchplate with the model name is missing and also the control plate. All these bits are pretty much impossible to source and will have to be custom made. The binding will need replacing probably especially if it's to be refretted. The electrics are in poor condition, if the pickup is knackered these are expensive to fix. It will be a very expensive project unless you are a luthier ( and have a few Shergold spares knocking about ;) )
For the record I'd bid but nothing more than £250.

Interesting! Seems awfully expensive but I clearly still have a lot to learn about the value of Shergolds. The guy at the shop turned my offer down by the way..

(..which is just as well because I had to spend ALL (!) of my £400 bass money on a dentist today. So no new bass, but I do hopefully get to keep my teeth for a few more years.)

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1389728206' post='2337318']

I suspect that's a later one - looks like a Modulator to me - as it has no position dots on the fretboard. Either that or it's a custom fretted factory fretless - if you follow my drift!

The current defretted one on eBay has been heavily modded, I contacted the seller out of interest, it will probably get some decent bids as he said he'd had lots of interest and offers. Points to consider - the logo is missing and possibly the serial plate ( he didn't answer my question about the serial plate so I'd assume its lost ). The scratchplate with the model name is missing and also the control plate. All these bits are pretty much impossible to source and will have to be custom made. The binding will need replacing probably especially if it's to be refretted. The electrics are in poor condition, if the pickup is knackered these are expensive to fix. It will be a very expensive project unless you are a luthier ( and have a few Shergold spares knocking about ;) )
For the record I'd bid but nothing more than £250.
[/quote]

I actually bid 258 in the end as the postage was cheap and won!

Gotta laugh, apparently one did pop up for £200 BIN earlier today http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227954-marathon-bass-on-ebay-l200-bin/page__fromsearch__1

With due respect to BetaFunk this was a bit of a freak event. It does however prove that it can happen :rolleyes: