Why become a member? ×

Shergold Marathon - more questions..

project_c

Hi guys, second time I'm asking about this bass here, I could use your expert advice again. I've been umming and arring about this bass for ages, it sounds good and the neck feels great, so I've had a much closer look at it today.

Here's the thing - the guy wants £399 for this bass, and it doesn't look like he'll accept an offer just yet. The problems are:

- No case
- No chrome cover
- Many dings, several on neck and one chip on the back that's gone through to the wood. None of them affect the playability, but will certainly affect resale value.
- Crackly pot, and general dirt everywhere (not a big a deal), chipped paint (I know its standard with these)
- Bass goes out of tune real quick, which could mean bad tuners, or it might just be the Roto's that have been on there since the early 1600's.

And now the big problem - there are 2 hairline cracks, both sides of the neck pocket, that look pretty nasty. Here's a pic:

[attachment=152037:photo 3.JPG]

What do you reckon about this? Is this normal with these basses? Is it an easy fix / non-issue, or a Very Bad Sign?

I love the feel and character of this thing but I'm worried that it'll turn to dust as soon as I get it home.. Would you buy it in this state? Here's another couple of pics:

[attachment=152038:photo 2.JPG]

[attachment=152039:photo 1.JPG]

Have a look through the answers given last time you asked. If the bass is the same then all the answers are relevant. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222814-shergold-marathon-couple-of-questions/page__p__2286564__hl__shergold%20marathon__fromsearch__1#entry2286564"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2286564[/url]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389380440' post='2333711']
Bass goes out of tune real quick, which could mean bad tuners, or it might just be the Roto's that have been on there since the early 1600's.
[/quote]
It should be alright for playing Greensleeves on if the strings are of that vintage. :D

All depends on the crack. As you've seen, all Shergolds have really deep finish cracks, due to the poly and/or wood. It really seems to lift, pull and crack but still stay on the bass! Nothing to worry about unless it seems to go deeper and is a sign of abuse and structural damage. Not a disaster (wood glue is strong stuff) but would mean some tougher negotiating on the price.

As others have said, finish cracks extending from the neck pocket are extremely common in Shergold guitars and basses. It's a natural stress point on any bolt-on, but exacerbated in these models because of the soft wood (Obeche), thick polyester finish, and the fact that the truss rod adjustment is often on the back of the body where the neck sits in the neck pocket (less wood there too). If in doubt, just remove the neck and take a look to see if the cracks extend into the wood. Even then it wouldn't necessarilybe a deal breaker for me, but would be a negotiating point. Original cases were just square back and generic. The bridge cover was black plastic and almost always removed and then lost. There is a guy on the Shergold website that will make you a reproduction one if you must have one. Remember they're plastic though and easily broken.

Edited by GeeCee

[quote name='namefail' timestamp='1389438786' post='2334113']
So this bass has been sitting unsold for about 2 months and the stores response is to raise the price again. Were I in your shoes I'd make a similar offer assuming he set it up (Is the neck still in need of a tweak as per your other thread?).

Good luck.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's been unsold for ages, but the guy swears it'll go at that price. He was referring to one that went for £400 recently on ebay, but I'm thinking that was with a case, cover, and without having been beaten to within an inch of its' life..

I haven't tried any serious bartering yet, because the more I see this bass, the more I see little problems with it that make me unsure, but there is something about it that keeps making me go back to it, it's very playable and difficult to put down once it's in your hands. The action was significantly lower since last time I tried it so it must have been tweaked, although I think it could still do with lowering a bit. One other potentially serious issue, depending on your outlook / preferences was that the frets were pretty worn out too. So I'm pretty sure I'd have to factor in a trip to the Bass Gallery for an overhaul to the cost as well. The frets are not a huge issue for me but it's all stuff that has an effect on resale value, and anything around £400 is more than just an impulse 'let's-just-buy-it-and-see-how-it-goes' kind of purchase.

Keeping an eye on resale value means you don't have to hoard stuff you never play any more, because you can't sell it. Doesn't mean I'm buying the bass as an investment, but we all know how GAS works, (not to mention limited studio space in a London home).. resale value is important to me.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1389380440' post='2333711']
Would you buy it in this state?
[/quote]

No, not unless I REALLY had to have a Marathon. I paid £125 for mine on eBay about 4-5 years ago, and I wouldn't pay much more. They're OK instruments but nothing special, even without issues. £400 buys a lot of bass at the moment, there are better things to spend your money on.

If you're even slightly unsure, don't buy it. If you go down the repair/restore route you'll likely end up paying £600 total for a bass that's worth £300, and then kick yourself when one in perfect condition sells for £200 on eBay.

How do I know all this? I've been where you're looking to go far too many times :rolleyes:

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1389443600' post='2334179']
I wouldn't worry too much about the plastic bridge cover being missing, I can't recall ever seeing one on a Shergold.
[/quote]
My Shergold still has it's original bridge cover. :)

See posts #1 & #5 of this thread:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222814-shergold-marathon-couple-of-questions/page__p__2286564__hl__shergold%20marathon__fromsearch__1#entry2286564

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389470797' post='2334583']
No, not unless I REALLY had to have a Marathon. I paid £125 for mine on eBay about 4-5 years ago, and I wouldn't pay much more. They're OK instruments but nothing special, even without issues. £400 buys a lot of bass at the moment, there are better things to spend your money on.
[/quote]
The days when these went for £125 are long gone. £400+ is the going rate for a Marathon bass nowadays. I paid £350 for 1974 Fender Jazz Bass in 1990 but don't expect to find another at the price any more so it's irrelevant what bases cost in the past. As for being special they are as special as any bass of the same period bought for the same money. They weren't budget basses by any means and as good as any at the price at the time and they look as if they are increasing in value all the time.

Lastly on the subject of cost i was looking at a post on a Joy Division website from 2004 where they were discussing someone selling a Shergold Marathon 6-String bass. They thought the price of £400 was ludicrous and reckoned that £250 was the maximum they would get for it. Try getting one of these now for under £1200 and if you did it would probably be the bargain of the year and would probably be more like £1500 if you could find one.

OP should hold out for one like this that went for £275, seller would probably have taken a cash offer of £250 given the Paypal and eBay fees he'd have paid http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Marathon-Bass-Guitar-1970s-UK-Made-Hayman-Burns-Lineage-/141112655143?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item20daf83d27. Saw one go for £170 a while back but it's no longer on the completed listings page. There's one currently at £150 that would need fretting and electrics also http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-modified-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-/191032662549?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7a6f1a15. If I were looking for a Marathon I'd get in touch with the seller of that one offline so to speak and get it up to Bass Doc sharpish :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389473969' post='2334632']
There's one currently at £150 that would need fretting and electrics also [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-modified-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-/191032662549?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7a6f1a15."]http://www.ebay.co.u...item2c7a6f1a15.[/url] If I were looking for a Marathon I'd get in touch with the seller of that one offline so to speak and get it up to Bass Doc sharpish :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that, very interesting. It'll need a pickguard and control plate sourcing as well, but I think these can be got.
I will be very interested to see what this goes for. :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389471169' post='2334591']
My Shergold still has it's original bridge cover. :)

See posts #1 & #5 of this thread:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222814-shergold-marathon-couple-of-questions/page__p__2286564__hl__shergold%20marathon__fromsearch__1#entry2286564"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2286564[/url]
[/quote]

Ah, you don't need a bridge cover mate, you should give it to me....... :)

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1389473969' post='2334632']
There's one currently at £150 that would need fretting and electrics also [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-modified-Fretless-Bass-Guitar-/191032662549?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c7a6f1a15."]http://www.ebay.co.u...item2c7a6f1a15.[/url] If I were looking for a Marathon I'd get in touch with the seller of that one offline so to speak and get it up to Bass Doc sharpish :)
[/quote]

Thanks for those - yeah I think I'll keep an eye on eBay, I think I can hold myself back from throwing away £400, especially if they can still be had for reasonable prices elsewhere. That white fretless looks way too far gone for me to tamper with, but it will make a nice restoration project for someone.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1389474160' post='2334635']
Thanks for that, very interesting. It'll need a pickguard and control plate sourcing as well, but I think these can be got.
I will be very interested to see what this goes for. :)
[/quote]
..and it won't go for £150 that's for sure. :)