Why become a member? ×

Grabber

So last week I saw this Grabber.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-grabber-Bass-/161194728454

Lovely I'm sure you will all agree, cracking condition. This time last week it was an auction with no buy it now price; with it being located near me, and him saying it was advertised elsewhere I thought I would ask if I could see it and see what he was after for it (at this point it was on £300 with 5 days to go I think). So he got back to me saying He wanted £1250 for it on eBay or £1000 in cash on collection; being a bit of a Grabber watcher I thought that was a little high, especially with no case. I said I would prefer to take my chances in the auction and see what happens. He proceeded to say he would only let it go for £1250 in the ebay auction, low and behold he ended it with an hour or so to go on less than £600 if I recall correctly. Its back on now at £1250.................

1) Put a reserve on it if you have a price in mind
2) Its the seller equivalent of a bidder not paying, can he do this?
3) £1250? really

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1389365189' post='2333396']
Haha well spotted, its about the only one I've seen for sale that hasn't had a headstock/neck repair.
[/quote]

Most of them don't have a neck/headstock repair, but is infact a scarf joint where the finish has worn from around the edges to make it look like a break. I picked up a very worn Grabber neck for £50 on Ebay that was sold as having a broken headstock repair. Where in fact it is just the scarf joint.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1389365967' post='2333414']
Most of them don't have a neck/headstock repair, but is infact a scarf joint where the finish has worn from around the edges to make it look like a break. I picked up a very worn Grabber neck for £50 on Ebay that was sold as having a broken headstock repair. Where in fact it is just the scarf joint.

[/quote]

Interesting, like you say everyone (myself included) seems to associate it with a break, good to know its not always true. I know its a weak spot on a few les pauls as well, in my old band both guys split their headstocks from that point.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1389366490' post='2333430']
Interesting, like you say everyone (myself included) seems to associate it with a break, good to know its not always true. I know its a weak spot on a few les pauls as well, in my old band both guys split their headstocks from that point.
[/quote]

I was surprised to find a scarf joint on any Gibson before I got my Grabber. Turns out they "Could" make them, and would strengthen up 99% of their guitar output. But choose not to. Scarf joints are much stronger.

Edited by Shockwave