Why become a member? ×

Time for a new laptop

mrtcat

Current laptop is coming to the end of its life and so I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement. Budget is about £800 but I need to be able to hook it up to a Mackie Onyx 1640i mixer to allow live recording on 16 channels. Previously I've run ableton but I no longer DJ so will probably want to run one of the logic incarnations. The mixer really needs firewire and I need enough power and memory to handle a two hour set using 16 channels. Am I high or is this possible? Recommendations please :-)

MacBook pro, slightly over your budget, unless you know someone's who's a student, I got 15% off mine last year.

You get garageband with it, which is really great software.

Mine's only 4gb and I run Logic X on it, so yes 4gb is fine.

Edited by ambient

I'm currently using a Toshiba laptop which has an express card slot. I use a decent firewire adaptor that supports music streaming so it works well. Biggest issue is currently finding either a pc laptop with the express card slot or anything with a firewire port. If I went for a mac mini it would have the firewire but I'd need to build a clever flight case to make it usable at a gig.