Why become a member? ×

Elrick basses! Has anyone got one or played one?

NJE

hello all,

I have been playing my warwick 5 constantly over the past few months, and despite my musicman being one of the loveliest basses to play it just doesnt really do anything for me anymore sound wise. I have fancied a jazz type bass for a while, and at the moment I am really GAS-ing for a Elrick Jazz. There are a couple around second hand at the moment and was just wondering if anyone had any experience of any elrick basses, not just the Jazz?

I dont think anywhere in the UK has them which is a bit of a problem. I am seriously thinking about ordering one from the states but it would be blind which is a concern, and I dont have the cash to fly over and try one which would be the ideal solution.

Any information would be great.

Many thanks,

Nathan

Hey Nathan,

I don't have an Elrick, but I do have the Cort Elrick - designed by Elrick and built in Korea by Cort, and it's very nice. I think you'll find quite a few Elrick users on www.talkbass.com.

Good luck!

Regards

Mike

[quote name='NJE' post='230317' date='Jul 1 2008, 09:39 AM']hello all,

I have been playing my warwick 5 constantly over the past few months, and despite my musicman being one of the loveliest basses to play it just doesnt really do anything for me anymore sound wise. I have fancied a jazz type bass for a while, and at the moment I am really GAS-ing for a Elrick Jazz. There are a couple around second hand at the moment and was just wondering if anyone had any experience of any elrick basses, not just the Jazz?

I dont think anywhere in the UK has them which is a bit of a problem. I am seriously thinking about ordering one from the states but it would be blind which is a concern, and I dont have the cash to fly over and try one which would be the ideal solution.

Any information would be great.

Many thanks,

Nathan[/quote]
Hi Nathan..I also have been gassing for a 5 string Elrick jazz, but have the same problem of not playing one...I have read reviews on harmony central, and seen clips on you tube of the Evolution. But alas this is not enough. I need to play one for myself..I think this is really important, as basses can be SOO different....

There was a elrick jazz for sale in the for sale section..I suppose all you can do is ask someone politely who has one, if you could try it out...Oh well i will just have to plump for a Sadowsky!!!! :)

Cheers for the heads up on talkbass.

I have posted a message up there and hopefully someone will give me some good info.

I have checked out the string spacing and it looks pretty big 19mm on the 5 string which I think is going to be a bit too big for me, so maybe I will go for the 4 string which looks to be about the same as a musicman dimension wise. I just love the look fo them, they are jazzy but not a blatant fender Jazz. Plus I want something modern and cant afford a Sadowsky, and the zero fret is very appealing!

cheers so far

[quote name='walbassist' post='230575' date='Jul 1 2008, 02:44 PM']I had two of the original series single cuts. They are great basses, beautifully made, very light, had a very open and organic sound. Rob does great work.[/quote]

great info, how did you find the string spacing and neck dimensions? I love the singlecuts but the jazz will be a stretch for me secondhand, and thats even if I can sell the Musicman.

Cheers,

Nathan

[quote name='NJE' post='230603' date='Jul 1 2008, 03:11 PM']great info, how did you find the string spacing and neck dimensions? I love the singlecuts but the jazz will be a stretch for me secondhand, and thats even if I can sell the Musicman.[/quote]

Necks were fine, quite round as I recall and not the flattened oval common on many 5s these days. The basses are certainly made with a lot of room between strings, although the bridge spacing was adjustable (but I don't think the NJS has the same bridge, so you get what you get). They are so light and feel so good I never really had a sense of the dimensions being uncomfortable.

Edited by walbassist