Why become a member? ×

So now I have a Tascam Portastudio 464...

Mornats

I was up north visiting the folks over Christmas and got talking to my uncle (who's been a guitarist for decades - played with Alan Holdsworth once too!) about recording. Long story short, he gve me his old, barely used Tascam Portastudio 464. Whoop!

So, er, what do I do with it? I'd love to try it out for a few recordings but I have no idea if I could integrate it into my home studio setup at all. I have a Guitar Rig Session I/O box (1x mic and 2x line/instrument in) and use Reaper as my DAW.

Or shall I buy some tapes and try it old school? :)

Obligatory pic:

[attachment=151271:tascam.jpg]

That's some good advice. Last year I did a traditional photography course and shooting on film has helped me think about my digital photography in such a different way. You have to really know what you want out of what you're doing beforehand. It's a good discipline to have.

Hell yeah! To go slightly off topic I was in Peru a few years ago taking photos of the condors flying over Colco Canyon. I was checking some shots on the LCD screen and looked up to see two condors clash in mid-air and have a scrap then fly off before I could lift the camera again. I was so gutted!

Sounds like a nice place to be. I remember being quite taken with a documentary called 'Flight of the Condor' when I was a little'un. Had good music to my ears too : [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nx6cTtZ8OY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nx6cTtZ8OY[/url]. Speaking of getting away to another location, that's something that the Tascam might afford you too, the ability to do some stuff 'on location'... wouldn't have to be the Andes to be a breath of fresh air! Ah well, hope it works!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1388524020' post='2323161']
Tapes. Absolutely get some tapes. I used to LOVE recording on my Fostex 4 track back in the day. You may end up getting more out of the process than the product, but there's nothing wrong with that.
[/quote]
"More from the process than the product" wow that's pretty deep stuff man. I'm gonna use that someday, hope you don't mind.