Why become a member? ×

Conductive paint/ copper foil

Lord Sausage

I'm doing my first build/ refin. In the thread i'm doing someone has said i need conductive paint or copper foil for the control cavity so that the pick ups won't humm. I've asked is this the same thing as a wire that goes from the jack thru the body to the bridge? But i've ye to receive an answer. thought i'd try my luck in here!

Can anyone help?

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1387744286' post='2315186']
So i have to spray the cavity with some shielding paint then?
[/quote]

Yes. And the pickup cavities too for maximum shielding. Also you need to connect the shielding of all the cavities on the bass together and to the earth of the wiring of the bass.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1387747691' post='2315230']
Is it absolutely neccessary?
[/quote]

No. Loads of basses are totally unshielded. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think it is a good idea to do it as I think that it makes the bass buzz less and pick up less hum.

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1387747691' post='2315230']
Is it absolutely neccessary?
[/quote]

It's not absolutely necessary in the sense that the bass will work without it but the shielding will reduce noise rf noise pickup - in practice this means noise from computers, radio transmissions etc. It won't do much at all for mains hum pickup.
If you can use copper tape then that would be better than the spray paint. Can use Aluminium foil too though Copper is better. If using Aluminium then 'Turkey' foil is better than normal stuff and this is the time of year when you can get it ! ( It's a bit thicker ) . Copper is best though. Could use both spray and copper . Bas(s)ically need to connect all shields together and enclose the electronics as much as practicable.