Why become a member? ×

I need help with my bass

GregRichardson

Hi its Greg again

As some of you may know, I am making a bass guitar on a very, VERY low budget and I finally started the project today, all I need now are strings. I do not want to use actual bass strings as they would not look very good on my setup, also that doesnt make it completely homemade (and would also be over my budget)

so if anyone knows what a cheap alternative to bass strings would be please tell me.

soon I will post pictures of me starting the project entitled "project planktar"

Thanks a lot
Greg

[quote name='GregRichardson' post='228851' date='Jun 29 2008, 07:46 AM']so if anyone knows what a cheap alternative to bass strings would be please tell me.[/quote]
How about secondhand bass strings - I'm sure a lot of people here have loads of spare ones.

Or maybe those crappy ebay strings that cost a fiver?

or Flymo nylon - but only if you're using a piezo element instead of a magnetic pickup.

wow thanks for all the comments, I completely forgot about this topic.

again I am just going to write quick comments to everything as I am going out for dinner in around 10 minutes and I need to get ready :)

to iwtait; No...

to outtoplayjazz; I live in Australia, I highly doubt you'd want to send them all the way down under, thanks very much for the offer though.

to Hamster; I'm actually just using a piezo for the build, come on, I'm an Austra-English 14 year that studies 3 different forms of IT, you don't get much lazier than that, I have started making some pickups for my dads old electric guitar but I got bored after winding it about four times, you can still be impressed if you wish :huh:

to Jean(etc, etc, etc, I'm not writing your full username :huh:), thanks for the ideas but I wanted to make my own strings not buy crappy ones, thanks anyway though.

to bnt; sorry, I use all my barbed wire to punish myself for my sins, I'm the Silas, the pale guy from the Davinci Code, just so you know :huh:

I will write more in about an hour, thanks for the comments