Why become a member? ×

Tobias Standard 6, made in Japan...

bassmayhem

I just got hold of a nice and rather rare bass in a swap deal: a Tobias Standard 6, made in Japan, one of the 400 made pre Gibson take-over. In one hour I have it at home. Anyone out there with experience of such basses? I'd be happy for a comment. Pic's will follow...

I had a standard 5 in white for a few years. I loved it, great neck and so much tone. My one had the internal midd pot put on the front to make it even more versatile. It was the bass i wished i had never sold, it looked so good in all white.

ambient;
The pickups and pre are bartolini , i think the pre was the TCT circuit.

This one has Bartolini pups and three band eq (with hidden mid band pot in the control cavity). The fretboard is rosewood, but I oiled it yesterday evening so it was "soaking wet". The guy who had the bass didn't really know how to set up a bass, so I spent some 45 minutes filing the nut to appropriate height, adjusting the twin truss rods, intonate the bridge and raise the pups to a level of "non anemic content". The bridge pup was set so low it didn't make a difference, nearly. I put some foam under both pups and screwed them tight. I set the mid control on full et voilà: the bass sang like a bird (just lower). Before the tweaking I did some serious cleaning of the fretboard with a ScotchBrite spunge soaked in oil, also cleaned the laquer with my standard solution: window cleaner (kind of...).

I was a bit surprised though, since the bass is rather neck heavy in spite of the long upper horn. Not a problem, just not expected. Oh, I changed the buttons to Schaller Strap Locks.

Ambient: I cannot comment on the similarity to the American made Tobias basses, since I've never played one. Still, it has a very nice tone, touch and quality. The neck is asymmetric: also a new experience. It feels more expensive than it was, at least after my tweaking. The strings were wery, wery old so I changed them to a set of not-so-very-old strings, but plan to order some balanced sets from Circle K Strings. Anyone tried them?

Edited by bassmayhem

This is a very cleverly designed bass ...
I thought the bridge was a little too bulky with a lot of strange details until I - to my surprise - found this: Adjustable string spacing!

The previous owner had missed these important details:
- He had not tightened the locking screws to the intonation of thebridge saddles, with the result that they fluttered like aspen leaves in the wind when played.
- He had not tightened the locking screws for the string spacing (one per saddle) which made the spacing fairly uneven with some audible buzzing and other [i]peculiarities[/i].

Overall, this means that you can get " compound spacing ', ie . the same distance between the strings' " winding periphery " instead of equal distance between the center of the string core. This means that the distance between the strings adapts to the strings' diameter : larger diameter - larger center distance = same distance [ in ] between [/ i] strings. Smart! Feels just right !

Now I'm just waiting for a set of new strings so I don't have to use my own old ones.

If I try to describe the tone of the words, something equally baroque, like dancing about architecture, but I make an effort: a homogeneous tone with granular core, perfectly bridge pickup bark without a shred of thin crispness. The neck pickup can emulate P- bass tone if you like, both pups in combination becomes like a juicy tonal boullion with a light fragrance of thyme and wild meat. Tastes best with a Cabernet Sauvignon or Cotes du Rhone...
(Heck, I said I would try.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by bassmayhem

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Did you decide to keep her? I have a Toby Pro-6 which I've recently given a makeover - everything but pickups, including a GK-3B fitting - the story is over on [url="http://basexperience.blogspot.co.uk/"]http://basexperience.blogspot.co.uk/[/url] - and after the work it's a hell of a bass. The spacing is narrow on the Pro-6, too, I tend to use it for fingerstyle only, but it's great for that.

In fact, I didn't keep her. Another item came up. Also, the string spacing was not really to my liking, so a young music student bought it from me. I got the six string I've been looking for the whole time at last, at a VERY reasonable price too...

Yamaha TRB John Patitucci II... A Jazz Bass on steroids...

I sold the Tobias and the Tacoma T-Cfief to get this odd carachter:
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/20140119_103043_zps987b8319.jpg[/IMG]
A 10 string MIDI equipped Chapman Stick...

Edited by bassmayhem