Why become a member? ×

Probably a daft question about using volume knob

Greggo

Not a daft question at all - actually a more complex one than you give yourself credit for, and certainly not one to which I can give a comprehensive answer!

A lot of guitarists spend time playing with their volume knobs to find a "sweet spot" where they're getting a satisfactory tone and the right amount of drive out of their (already excessively loud) amp. As bassists, we normally run our basses close to '10' just so we can be heard above them!

Joking aside, your volume pot affects the overall resistance of the circuit. Whilst it doesn't have as stark an effect as the tone pot & cap, you should find that the balance of frequencies changes a bit if you back off the volume control. Where this becomes most obvious is when you've got a good overdrive pedal: you can dial back the guitar volume until the dirt all but disappears...then roll it back up, keeping some tissues on hand to wipe the blood from your ears.

What you probably can't do is make a Epiphone mudbucker sound like a '50s Fender single-coil. Whether you can, say, make a Stingray humbucker sound like a Jazz pickup, I don't know. Got to be worth a try! (And if not, I guess you can invest in a coil tap!)

Edited by EliasMooseblaster

Generally speaking, basses sound best with the volume knob on full. It depends slightly on impedence and whether the bass is active ect, but on the whole you get the best sound with the volume on full , especially on a passive bass. On active basses , in practise, you can usually turn the volume control down a bit if neccesary, usually to compensate for any apparent increases in volume caused by cranking the active EQ, without much apparent degradation of the overall tone . As far as I know, though, lowering the volume on a high output bass will sound like a high output bass with the volume turned down , rather than like the allegedly less -compressed sound of a lower output pickup.

Edited by Dingus

It makes quite a difference whether your bass is active or passive. On a well-sorted active bass, reducing the volume at the bass should have very little effect on the tone into an amp set clean (although if you were driving your amp's front end hard, there will be a difference as a result of that).

On a passive bass, you will almost certainly lose some top end as you back of the volume. I used to compensate for this on my P by turning up my tone control, which was normally on about 50%. There is a lot of fun to be had juggling the volume and tone controls on a passive bass - they are very interactive!

EDIT - Afterthought - some active pickups, notably EMGs, are reputed to sound 'compressed' if run on a 9V supply because this limits the headroom of the pre-amp, but the effect disappears if you run them at 18V. There is plenty discussion on this online...

Edited by JapanAxe

Thanks for responses. All it is, the pickups on my Yamaha BB414 are pretty hot and I'm trying to replicate a recording tone I used on a track years ago, but struggling a bit. The bass used was a p copy and I'm using the p pickup in my Yamaha. I appreciate that pickups are not going to sound the same, but didn't know if rolling off volume may replicate the more mellower output nature of that other bass. (not had chance to check myself first hand either)

Edited by Greggo

Volume knob..? To adjust volume..? :shok:
in my world, it's either fully on or fully off! In fact, on a couple of basses I have considered, in the past, replacing the vol knob with a simple on/off switch.

EDIT: Doesn't really answer your question, does it? I guess the only real answer is... try it!

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1387031153' post='2307590']
Thanks for responses. All it is, the pickups on my Yamaha BB414 are pretty hot and I'm trying to replicate a recording tone I used on a track years ago, but struggling a bit. The bass used was a p copy and I'm using the p pickup in my Yamaha. I appreciate that pickups are not going to sound the same, but didn't know if rolling off volume may replicate the more mellower output nature of that other bass. (not had chance to check myself first hand either)
[/quote]
Try backing off the tone if you want to go mellower.

I have a BB415 with a John East pre installed - as you say, the pups are already hot and with the active pre, the output is immense.

To get any headroom at all, I've resorted to putting the Master Vol full up & using the gain to control overall volume - this allows me as much headroom as is possible with the combination.

G.